Lakes, wine and farewell to Croatia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
June 21st 2019
Published: July 9th 2019
Edit Blog Post

For our last day we visited Krka National Park, not far south of Zadar. It was getting hot as we headed out & it only got hotter over the day. We started off visiting Skradinski Bu, hiking 850m down to the river then around the boardwalks. LOTS of tour groups moving slowly & taking up all the space making it hard to weave our way through.. The waterfalls were very pretty though. We had a short swim at Skradinski buk which was very welcome as the temperature had climbed into the 30s. We got the bus back up to the car park instead of hiking the steep stony path, I'm not sure it was faster but at least it had air con! There was a bit of a bus jam getting out, but luckily our bus wasn't too crowded (we cunningly got the second bus).


We drove up to Roški Slap, with a brief stop to look across the water at Visovac monastery & for lunch at a lovely quiet spot overlooking the river. Much fewer tourists at
Rošk, presumably as the big coaches don't seem to come this way. We started our walk upstream around the "necklace" cascades which were beautiful before heading down to the main waterfall where we had ice-cream & I paddled before we could face the steps back up to the road! We decided it was too hot to walk to the cave - & we'd seen lots of caves already this trip - so we headed back the apartment (& the air con we'd only discovered that morning!).

We got the last of the wine out of the fridge & headed up the final stairs in the block to check out the roof terrace. Great views over to the sea, also wonderful to watch the swifts flying below us! Again we got a boat over to old town & yet another restaurant on the seafront where we shared a selection of starters and salads before getting more ice-cream & finding a spot to sit on the jetty to watch sunset - with camera this time! Of course this time there was a layer of cloud so the sun didn't make it to the sea but it made for a beautiful sunset. On the way back we saw bats flying overhead too.

We then packed up ready for our flight home in the morning. Zadar airport is lovely & small, but annoyingly the hire car chap had failed to give up a copy of one of the bits of paper so returning the hire car took longer than planned, luckily we left plenty of time so all was ok.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

Krka National Park
Mill near Skradinski BukMill near Skradinski Buk
Mill near Skradinski Buk

Krka National Park
Visovac IslandVisovac Island
Visovac Island

Home to the 15th-century Franciscan Monastery of Our Lady of Mercy


Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb