Croatian Short Stories - Mali Ston, a special place


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Zaton
August 31st 2020
Published: September 15th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Driving towards Dubrovnik from Split, you have to cross the Bosnia-Herzegovina / Croatian border. 10 minutes later driving the Magistrala down you cross it again reentering Croatia. For more explanation on this weird set up, see the blog on Jadranska Magistrala. Anyway 13 km after you've reentered the Croatian territory, there is the most important turn, absolutely not to be missed by oysters and mussels enthusiasts. At the town of Zaton Doli travelling South you will turn right, leaving the Jadranska Magistrala towards a town called Mali Ston. 10 minutes later driving slowly a road with spectacular views you will reach your destination. Carefully maneuver through the narrow roads around the medieval city wall, to reach the small marina. To your left you will see a restaurant called Kapetanova Kuca (Captain's House). To the right you will spot farms of oysters and mussels. Park your car, sit down at the Captain's, order any dish (they are all fresh-delicious) of mussels and oysters and forget the world ....... Warm up to your future culinary experience with the following pictures of two happy travelers who reached oyster and mussel heaven..... By the way we were told the best months for oysters is March and April, so we have to go back !!!

But before we need to tell you a bit about Mali Ston.

Mali Ston (which means Little Ston) is a village on the Peljesac peninsula approximately one kilometre northeast of its larger sister village Ston. The two Stons are linked by the "Walls of Ston" and is less than an hour of Dubrovnik. This proximity and its naturally protected shallow waters meant that in the 14th century the city state of Dubrovnik, a powerful and independent regional political and economic player has had great interest in this peninsula and acquired Peljesac. In order to protect the it from attacks from the mainland a mighty fortification has been built in Ston and Mali Ston including the Walls of Ston. Peljesac was important for its salt production and sea food. Today the Wall is a relic of past times and the fight has shifted to the dinner table.

As you can see...............


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement





Happy wife Happy wife
Happy wife

Happy life








Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb