Zadar, Croatia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Zadar
July 22nd 2009
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 11th July 2009

Woke up during night due to the VERY loud thunder and rain but turned over and went back to sleep fortunately!! Awake at 7am to be packed and at breakfast by 7.30am and we head off from Dubrovnik around 8am. We drive along the Croatian coast till about midday, nowhere to stop for a break but Damo manages to find somewhere around 11.30 for about 45 minutes and from this point we turn away from the coast and head inland along a brand new highway to Split.

Most the view today is of rock and scrub hills, you couldn’t really grow a thing along this part of the Croatia it is ALL weathered rock with scrub on it.

Our stop in Split is for lunch and we have 2 hours to walk around and have a look. After having a quick burger Joy and I have a wander around the markets walking through the old city dungeon. I bought some blackberries and Joy got cherries - yum! Weather is still fantastic as well - blue skies and the sun is shining!!

We leave Split for the 2 hour drive or so to Zadar where we have been warned that the accommodation and breakfast is not great, but after expecting the worst it seems pretty good when we arrive. Rooms of four again the only thing is there is one shower and one toilet for each of the sexes for each building but amazingly we didn’t really have to queue much to use them. Well I know I didn’t have to anyway!!!

At 7pm we all meet up and load on the bus and head into the city centre to go find some dinner. Joy, Jacinta and I go find a fabulous place to eat and chillout. I have a local stew which is lovely except the meat is like shoe leather ☺ but it was so relaxing and enjoyable I didn’t care. The only bummer was that by the time we finished and left we had only about 5 mins to get to the bus and I saw heaps of stuff I really would have liked to try on and buy… nevermind… Didn’t get to see the Sea Organ either or have a proper look around…

We head back to the hostel to see other people there on holiday staying there - this has been a first for us as everywhere else we have stayed has been virtually no one else there….

Had a shower and went to bed.

I loved Zadar even though not enough time there… the city has these narrow stone alleyways and the stones are all shiny and slippery probably from the constant use I suppose and it just looks lovely!! Like Dubrovnik the city centre is walled off from the rest of the area with arched entranceways. Everyone was in a great mood after a relaxing dinner and finally getting off the bus I think…

Tomorrow we head to Venice - HOORAY!! Via the Postonjaska Caves in Slovenia… we are to be up at 6.30am for 7.00 breakfast and 7.30am departure… groan more time on the bus…

Sunday 12th June Travel to Venice..

Had a breakfast of a banana and remaining blackberries which was fruit I bought in Split. We head onto the new motorway once again where it says the temperature is 21 degrees. We are on a two lane motorway with a heap of tunnels, all part of the plan to enter the European Union I guess, the only thing is that it is tolled. Yesterday the motorway cost about $60 for the bus…. You get a ticket when you get on and pay when you exit and the cost is based on how far you travelled and your vehicle size.

Today we come across valleys with clusters of houses, I am taking photos out the windows but not sure how they’ll come out and always seem to take the photo too late!!! We must be climbing as I notice that the temperature on the motorway e - boards is now at 14 degrees - thank god I am wearing jeans today, that is for the caves later on where it can get down to 8 degrees…. Just as well we have airconditioning on the bus really…. As it is hot everywhere else…..

As we travelling I realise that I land back in Brisbane in a month from now…. ☺

As we travel through Slovenia Damo had some issues with directions and getting to the right turn off etc and today we have an accident on the bus rear ending a small car… we have to sit on the bus for 2 hours (no aircon!!) while the paperwork is sorted and the car is towed away. The bumper on the bus is about the only damage although the lights are probably a little askew as well. The car occupants are shaken up but not injured fortunately.

When we hit the road again we have an anonymous vote about whether to still head for the caves or go direct to Venice however it is decided to try for the caves and arrive later in Venice. We were originally to get to the caves at 2 but now trying for 4. Alas when we arrive in the area the traffic is abominable thanks to a local festival that is on today so we miss the 4pm trip and we skip the caves as the train only travels every hour….

To pass the time in the afternoon on the bus we start a new “game” of fining people for silly things and the funds raised will buy wine near the end of the trip…

Slovenia is much richer than it’s neighbouring countries and is the 3rd mountainous country, it seems to have more fertile flatlands to me compared to it’s neighbours but I suppose we only see a small part of the area..

We arrive in Venice around 7.00 - 7.30pm. Joy and I don’t muck around, we grab our bags and race for the laundry as I am out of knickers and socks. Thank god for the driers!!!! We are in a four berth cabin once again and Joy and I flip a coin for the one room with a double bed - I win!!!

Tonight we are having a Toga party so we pay $1 for sheet hire and I go along for about half an hour, there are some pretty cool creations!! Mine wasn’t so elaborate being so tired and not so enthusiastic…. Feeling my age tonight compared to the others!!!

We have a Topdeck cook tonight and we have the best meals at this place of all the Topdeck kitchens I think….



Advertisement



Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb