Day 7 - Vis


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Vis
June 1st 2018
Published: June 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

After a fitful night of not sleeping because of a banging door, we got up and readied ourselves for a second day on the beautiful Adriatic. Who cares if you can’t sleep when all one has to do is hang out on a boat.

Kirsten made breakfast, as she does on every vacation, and we ate like kings. Scrambled eggs, fruit, chocolate croissants, bread and cheese. It was awesome. The facilities at the port were quite nice, so we were able to use the restrooms and Kirsten even took a shower. Chester and Dan are just fine the way they are.

We finally paid up at the port and were off for a day of sailing to our next island. At least, when you rent a sail boat one thinks they will be sailing, but we never let the sail out. The waters were a little choppy, but not bad. We sailed across the waters on another beautiful day and we were all diligent to apply and reapply our sunscreen. We stopped at our first cove and jumped in to go snorkeling. Every time before Kristen jumps in, she claps her hands together and says, “This is crazy. This is crazy.” (movie buffs, can you guess the movie?). Again, the water is refreshingly cold. But we do get used to it. This was Dan’s first time snorkeling and he went to town. Kirsten and Chester were amused with it for about 10 minutes and then they were done. When one has dove the Great Barrier Reef and the Carribean, a bunch of rocks with very few fish are not that impressive. But Dan was loving it. He even went out a second time; however, Dan didn’t realize that his back was getting fried! He’s a little pink, but he’s going to be ok. Our captain has suggested several times that Dan stays out of the sun.

After snorkeling we sailed over to the Green Cave. Our sail boat is too big to drive into the cave, so we were back in the water swimming. We had to dodge a few boats that were small enough to get in the cave, but we had our noodles and we are all proficient swimmers. Once in the area, we crept into the cave and there is a hole about 2 feet in diameter at the top. A ray of light shines into the cave and it is pretty-cool to get under it. Plus, one can see all the way down to the bottom of the sea floor. Again, this water is so clear and clean it is amazing. As it cooled down a little in the cave, we headed back to our boat. Again, dodging 4 or 5 speed boats coming for the attraction.

After the cave excursion it was on to Vis, our next island. We were on the opposite side of the island and it only took an hour to get to port. It is a beautiful island that reminded Kirsten and Chester of the Greek Islands they had visited in 2004. They are small and welcoming islands. We docked and immediately walked around to see what we could do. After finding the bathrooms, we rented scooters to see all that the island has to offer. This was another first for Dan! He had never snorkeled or driven a scooter before today, and now he has checked both of those items off his list. Chester has minimal driving time on scooters and usually does not like to drive, but she was all in. The first place we went did not want to rent to us because Chester and Dan were rookies. Kirsten was like fine, we will just go to the place next door, and we did. They never did ask us about our driving experience. After mounting up, the gang of Cornhuskers rode off to explore the island. Everyone was doing well on the bikes, Dan was pretty cautious and kept his speed low, Kristen is the speedster so she blew by Chester and Dan to the front of the line. We drove all over the island and viewed the spectacular scenery. We had the sea all around, groves of olive trees and grapes. We would stop at areas, check the map and keep moving. At one point we were headed up a huge, steep hill to see some fort. As we climbed, Kirsten and Dan kept going, but Chester’s scooter got slower and slower. There was no way she was going to make it to the top. She had the throttle on full blast, and nothing! Needless to say, this did not bode well for her self-esteem. Dan was able to catch up to Kirsten and back all the three went down the mountain. No worries though, there was plenty of other sites to see. We kept driving, our cycle gang of three, and found another beach we could hike to. It was sandwiched in between private property. But it was our first some-what sandy beach. It was only a 10 minute hike down to the water. Kirsten couldn’t make it to the beach though, and had to pop-a-squat on the side of the path to relieve herself. Dan just kept walking! This cove was private and serene. After a few pictures we hiked back up to our bikes. We kept tooling around the island and went to another rocky beach for a break. We dodged cars and large bugs on our trek but it was a great way to see the island. Our last stop was a fort that we just walked around. It was closed for a private event. But again, the views were impressive. We had to fill up our bikes before we returned them and the gas pump guy asked where we were from. As soon as we said “Colorado” he responded with the “420 State”. Great!

Bikes were returned and we were starting to get hungry. We went back to the boat and grabbed our guide for dinner. We had a nice meal with great conversation with our captain, and then it was an early night to bed for everyone. We had fixed the doors so they wouldn’t bang in the night in hopes of a restful night’s sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb