Don't Go Chasin' Waterfalls - Krka


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Sibenik
September 13th 2017
Published: September 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Krka National Park is located just twelve kms from Sibenik, and contains one of Croatia’s best known natural wonders, Krka Waterfalls. We headed off early to try and avoid the crowds, and arrived at the Lozovac Park Entrance at around 9.00am. The ticket price includes a bus down the mountain to the Krka River, which is where we commenced our walking tour of the waterfalls, on well maintained elevated timber walkways.



The Krka River contains rarely seen Travertine deposits, which is a limestone that has settled and accumulated on mosses and algae, creating various formations. Krka was declared a National Park in 1985.



Krka is famous for Skradinski Buk, which is the longest and most commonly visited waterfall on the river. Skradinski Buk is where swimming is permitted just below the waterfall, and is the reason why so many young people flock to Krka.



After walking the circuit of the waterfalls, we decided to head back to Sibenik to further explore the Old City. First stop though, was the restaurant at Sibenik Beach for lunch, where Kim had spied fresh grilled Tuna Steaks on offer. Kim had been longing for fresh Tuna, and this being our last day on the coast, she wasn’t disappointed with the meal. After lunch we headed for the Cathedral of St James, which dates back to 1431. We then walked up to the Fortress of St Michael, which towers over our accommodation. The fortress has an interesting history, being used to repel the invading Ottoman Turks on two occasions. The fortress has commanding views over Sibenik and the waterways, and was regarded in the middle ages as impregnable.



As we walked down the hill through the Old Town, we wound our way through narrow cobblestoned alleys. Rounding a corner, we stumbled upon the Church of St Lawrence, belonging to the Franciscan Monks, which has an adjoining quiet and peaceful garden, shaped in a cross. The structure and style of the garden was very similar to one we had visited within the walls of Tarascon Castle in France.



The weather was very warm and sunny, and with this being our last day on the Croatian Coast, I had to have one final swim in the sea, before we head for colder locations. We headed down to Sibenik Beach, where the water again was cool and refreshing. We are going to miss the Croatian Coast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.302s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb