Hvar Island and Makarska


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Hvar
May 15th 2022
Published: May 1st 2022
Edit Blog Post

Hvar is a long and slim island that lies almost perpendicular ti the Dalmatian coast. Hvar Town is the capital and sits on the southwest corner of the island. It was ruled for centuries by Venice, and it was one of the first safe ports of call for ships traveling to and from the Orient. The town square opens onto the waterfront. It is home to the Renaissance Katedrala Sv Stjepena (Cathedral of St. Stephen). Also on the square is the Palace Hektorovic, dating from the 15th century. Stari Grad in the north part of the island was founded in the 4th century. You know I am not much for these historic buildings.
Hvar is famous for its lavender, best seen in later May and June. Lavender, honey, and agave are plentiful here.
Makarska is wedged between the Adriatic and the Biokovo Mountain. Its major draw is a long beach, now backed by large hotels. The Shell Museum here is said to be the largest collection in the world.
I am told this is the PARTY island of all Dalmatia. I shall find out, I assure you!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb