Dubrovnic


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
July 4th 2017
Published: July 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Dubrovnic is a beautiful walled city of dense red roofed houses, palaces, monasteries and churches. Swooping swifts follow you everywhere, particularly first and last thing. It is super crowded but don’t be put off by that, the quietest time is early in the morning, a great time to walk around the city walls, peer down onto lovely gardens that can’t be seen from the streets and appreciate the density and colourfulness of the roofs. A hike up to the top of Sdr mountain (there is also a cable car) also gives great views, this was lovely to do in the evening, watching the sun go down. Lokrum island makes a great half day trip, a 15 minute ferry boat ride from the marina, it’s a small nature reserve with acres of woodland and gardens with an ancient Benedictine monastery and a small fort on a hill with great views, all surrounded by beautiful blue sea. We bought a one day Dubrovnic card that was well worth it as it covered the cost of the wall walk and entrance to 8 museums – we made it to just 3 and it was still worth it, particularly the Franciscan monastery and the Rector’s Palace (all the museums are small). Not on the card but well worth the visit is the War Photo Museum with journalists’ photos and captions from the Yugoslav conflicts as well as other conflicts around the world.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



6th July 2017
View from Sidr Mountain as the sun sets

Croatia
Beautiful view

Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb