Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
June 17th 2011
Published: June 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Dubrovnik

On a tour of Europe - we took in the Dalmation coast and spent some time in Dubrovnik, staying a hotel which overlooked the water and the old walled city.

In the last ten years Dubrovnik city has under gone reconstruction after the war of separation from Yugoslavia left the city partially demolished with its wonderful roofs of red tiles shattered - though surprisngly the walled ramparts seem to have suffered minimal damage..

The red roof tiles have been replaced and blend in well with the originals

View Dubrovnik Postcards

A little bit about the place

The city was partially destroyed by an earthquake in 1667, what we have to day dates from reconstruction after the quake.

Dubrovnik suffered from relentless bombing by the Yugoslav forces during the war October 1991 to May 1992. The city lay under siege for many months. During the shelling hundreds of citizens were killed and most of the buildings suffered considerable damage.

UNESCO and the EU helped with reconstruction work after all hostilities ceased in 1995. The homes were rebuilt and reroofed, returning the city to its former glory. The first batch of tiles used to re-roof the houses came from South West France, while a new factory was built to manufacture tiles as similar as possible to the original.

Now that the city looks more like its former self, it is buzzing with tourists - both long term and very short term from cruise ships.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0802s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb