Oh no, bus is full...


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
May 11th 2006
Published: May 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This morning started off with a big bang. We strutted off to Korcula's tiny bus station, hoping to catch the 6.45 bus to Dubrovnik 3 hours away. But when we reached the bus station, we were told the bus was full, and there we are stranded, possibly for another day in tiny Korcula. There is only 1 bus that goes to Dubrovnik and we couldnt board it, wow, that is our worst possible nightmare, we are not used to bumming around doing nothing, and we already feel bored in Korcula. So there we were standing like 2 fools, early in the morning at 6plus, waiting for the travel agencies to open their doors, to check out the excursion schedule to Dubrovnik.

Fortunately there are a few other people like us, who are stranded without a bus ticket. Two of them, we call them the Harry POtter sisters, (cos the younger sister looks really like Harry Potter) are resourceful enough to look for fellow travellers to fill up a taxi-van to Korcula. The trip for 6 people would set us back by 1000 Kn divided by six, so that is 166 Kn per person, 2 times the price of the bus ticket which cost 80 Kn (100 Kn is SGD28). Still we are better off than being stranded in Korcula and still have to pay for one night stay in Korcula and one night of reservation in Dubrovnik. We count ouerselves lucky to have met the Harry Potter sisters.

We reached Dubrovnik at around 12noon, 2 hours later than the bus we were supposed to take. We called up our sobe owner and she picked us at the Gruz bus terminal. Her house is a good find, our room has a terrific sea-view , and we can enjoy breakfast on the balcony overlooking the bay and the old town. Mrs Danica is extremely warm and helpful. She said she would invite us to dinner today, that is totally unexpected....we are so touched....oh i wana cry....

Dubrovnik had suffered from extensive bombing during the civil war in 1991-1992. Two-thirds of the buildings in the old town was shelled by Serbians who had attacked the Croats during the civil war. The reason for the war? Plain stupidity....the Serbs wanted to capture the coastal area from the Croats, so that is how the war started.

We also visited the War Photo Limited, an exihibition of war photos, in the old town. The war photos are very sad, very real. Anybody visiting Dubrovnik should pay this place a visit.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb