Beautiful Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
August 31st 2009
Published: September 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

DubrovnikDubrovnikDubrovnik

Here you can see the whole city including the medieval walls.
Location: Dubrovnik
Weather: Sunny, 33 °C

Kathy and I both went on a tour in Dubrovnik - I gave her a break from doing the washing! The medieval city of Dubrovnik was beautiful. However in the heat the glare from the limestone roads was very bright and added to the extreme heat. I have to admit that I am getting tired of the heat - it is exhausting walking around and listening when it is too hot.

An interesting fact about Dubrovnik - it was never conquered in its many centuries of existence, every time it looked like war might be approaching the Council of Dubrovnik simply brought off the prospective invaders. Dubrovnik was rich because it was a maritime and trading power. They paid ransom and then got it back in trade! No wars ever affect Dubrovnik until the recent conflict. There are still signs of the damage from bombs and shrapnel but most of Dubrovnik has been repaired due mostly to the income derived from tourists.

No shopping today - too hot but we went and sat with cruise friends and had a few drinks and people watched. Everywhere we go has been good for people
view of Dubrovnikview of Dubrovnikview of Dubrovnik

Can I just say that I am sick of the clothes I brought - I might burn them all when I get home.
watching - more for the fashions and how people get about, there have been some funny sights.

Amy



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Bell Tower - DubrovnikBell Tower - Dubrovnik
Bell Tower - Dubrovnik

exploring the streets of Dubrovnik, everything is built from a beautful limestone but hard on the eyes in the sunlight.
Dubrovnik Town GuardsDubrovnik Town Guards
Dubrovnik Town Guards

Changing of the Guard procession.


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb