Hrvatski Hospitality


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
August 7th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Katie and Her BeansKatie and Her BeansKatie and Her Beans

Beans...good. Sausage...Good!
HRVATSKI HOSPITALITY

PICTURES TO FOLLOW WHENEVER WE GET TO A MODERN COMPUTER!.......

After 36 consecutive hours of travel (thats a 6 hour jaunt from Nice to Milan, a 3 hour hop to Venice, a 7 hour overnight scoot to Zagreb, a 5 hour shuffle to Split, concluded by a 4 hour shimmy to Dubrovnik), we were picked up at the bus station by the proprietor of "Rooms Antovnic", a 72 year old Croatian woman named Katie. Still in a daze from our trip, Katie used the few English phrases she knew to manuever us onto the public bus and take us to her establishment just outside the old town city walls. As we were walking toward Katies guesthouse(a charming, signless 150+ year old building that once served as an orphanage) she was quick to point out (which was hilarious to us at the time) that her place was located directly across from a very different kind of guesthouse. "Hotel Hilltonne..." she gestured across the street with the point of a finger. "And my hotel!" she giggled as she turned into the gate to her home. (It really is right across from the Hilton)

That was our first of many great experiences with Katie, and we have grown especially fond of her and her granddaughter Katerina, who was staying with Katie and served as her/our translator and guide. Katie was extremely hospitable, serving us breakfast every morning. The first morning was a standout: she served us turkish coffee (that she ground and roasted herself), warm rolls, and one shot each of her homemade "apricot" liqueur (Erin was of course drunk after the one shot). Later on in our visit, she had us over for what she called lunch, but what was really an obliteration of our hunger for the next few days: spicy Croatian sausage and bean stew, fresh country bread, heirloom tomato salad, "bacon" or as we would call it - 2 inch thick hunks of deliciously salted hamhock, and of course the local Pivo (Beer) to finish her off.

To repay her for a small part of her generosity, we used her kitchen and made dinner for her, Katerina, and two Norwegians. If any of you come to visit Dubrovnik, we highly recommend staying with Katie. The price is good, the location is perfect, and you just read the above. Good times.

Another blog soon to follow....



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Salud!Salud!
Salud!

We cooked dinner for Katie and Katerina


15th August 2007

what a blast!
i wanna go! i wanna go with you! you two have given us a most wonderful look at the world and i so thank you for that! love you~!

Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb