A Corner in Sarajevo and Leaping into Mostar


Advertisement
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » South » Mostar
September 13th 2016
Published: September 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

<em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Day 232 Tuesday 6th September 2016 – Belgrade to Sarajevo The hotel we are staying has been great although a bit more expensive than we usually pay but it has been worth it. Our room is lovely with a balcony and a fantastic breakfast, so we made sure we booked the bus a little later. As we booked out the hotel staff gave us two small packages wi... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

MostarMostar
Mostar

Colourful Building
MostarMostar
Mostar

Church tower and cross looking over Mostar
MostarMostar
Mostar

Bullet riddled building
MostarMostar
Mostar

River and Bridge
MostarMostar
Mostar

Cave Bar



14th September 2016
Sarajevo

Hold the onion please...
Minus the onion, it sounds like I would really love cevapi with that creamy cheese and that gorgeous looking bread. Yum!
14th September 2016

Walking it off...
The streetscapes are so different to what you were photographing a few blogs back - you guys are seeing such an interesting cross-section of Europe. I think I would walk a lot more if I got a kilo of Turkish Delight for every 6km I walked! And seriously what was in that baklava that made you visualise 'horny' bees??? Jeez :D
14th September 2016

Walking it off...
I must admit I like a change of scenery and pace every third day and loved Sarajevo due to the nice slower pace. As for horny bees, you should have seen the way they were going at that ham, I just had to be lust. And as for the cevapi, I love my raw onion (and no I don't eat them like Tony Abbot), but Shelley isn't much of a fan. A guy at the next table ordered another whole medium sized bowl of chopped onion to go with his meal and was shovelling it in- maybe just taking it a bit too far.
14th September 2016
Mostar

Great bridge and terrible, river stone steps!
Hey, I've got a touch of wifi here in Copa, so happy to read of your adventures and all that history you're learning--good show! I loved Mostar (oh, that hauntingly beautiful, live call to prayer) and was there a bit after the bridge was rebuilt, when there were no hourly jumpers. However, I'm rather shocked that there were so many tourists there in September--I fear for your lives in Dubrovnik! Will it be another Prague?
15th September 2016
Mostar

Great bridge and terrible, river stone steps!
Glad to hear you are still with us and the God of WiFi is still looking after you. We have been contemplating on where to? after Europe and if it wasn't so difficult and expensive to get home from we would be joining you on that beach at Copa. Just escaped from the tourist stampede at Dubrovnik and we don't think it was as bad as Prague but we just avoided the old town during the middle of the day. As we left this morning there was one HUGE liner and 3 large liners docked in port so it was a good day to be leaving. Happy and safe travels in Bolivia.
16th September 2016
Mostar

Further travels
I'd love it if you'd return to Bolivia to join me here! However, I understand the hassle of distances--so annoying that they've not perfected teleporting yet! Then, you'll see airlines in your transport museums. However, a bit closer to you are Romania, which I've heard is gorgeous, Bulgaria, etc. I was heading there once from Budapest when the Danube flooded, cutting off all eastward travel, but it does seem affordable and exotic. Great that you've perfected early morning exploration to avoid the crowds; liners have become the scourge of travelers. I'm staying a couple of weeks in Copa since I have wifi and my own bathroom with a toilet seat and hot water--woo hoo!
20th September 2016

Gavrilo Princip didn't start the war - the assassination was just a pretext for a war Austria and Germany had been wanting for a long time. It was Austria which decided to start the war and invade Serbia (with Germany's backing) because Serbia didn't agree to every single one of Austria's demands. Serbia agreed to all but one. Also, it was Austria which annexed BiH a few decades before even though there were no ethnic Austrians living there. BiH at the time had over 40% Serbian population - they were the largest of the three main ethnic/religious groups then. Also, Austria (its military and government and even people) did not even like the Archduke - his funeral was boycotted. No one showed up. He also stood in the way of the wanted war by the military. The Archduke didn't want war with Serbia, as he feared Russia, and he was even thinking of bringing Serbs/Slavs into the Empire with themselves and the Hungarians. The Archduke was given no protection, despite strong Austrian forces there, and the Austrian army was doing military exercises at the border with Serbia at the time. This is usually a preparation and even a clue that war is imminent. Further, Germany wanted to attack a rising Russia (Russia was flowering and improving at that time) before it got its railroad system up and got to strong. There had been plenty of meetings and calls for war against Serbia in the previous years by Austrian and Germany diplomats and military officials. There were warnings about an assassination attempt but they practically "dangled" the Archduke in an open car and didn't abort his tour (on a Serbian holy day no less) despite that. In the end they drove the car right to where he was standing and stopped in front of him. The car stayed stopped until Gavrilo Princip (actually a very small, weak/sickly looking young man) so he could walk up and kill point blank. Austrian Intelligence had to know about the plot and very well could have been feeding info to the radical plotters and Gavrilo and the others were just puppets (believing they were being patriotic, but actually providing an excuse for war and killing the dislike Archduke).
21st September 2016

I can fully agree with you that most if not all parties wanted a war and that perhaps sending the Archduke to Sarajevo was an attempt to provoke. The complex treaties and agreements between the empires ensured that any localized war was going to involve everyone. However, we stand by our statement that Gavrilo Princip started the war, his single action of assassinating the heir to the Austria-Hungarian throne was the first starting point to a long complex chain of events (as you detailed) that started the first world war. If he had known the ramification of what he did that day would he not have shot Ferdinand and his wife – I don’t know. If he hadn’t shot them the war would have been delayed or perhaps (on a very, very slim chance) not happened at all, but ultimately his bullets were the first. Not sure I would agree with you that it was a set up as most histories tell that Ferdinand wanted to visit the injured in hospital and the lead car went the pre arranged but now wrong way and they had to stop and go back- the chances or fortunes of life. I am no scholar on the matter and always open to new ideas and facts, thanks for your input.
21st September 2016

Bosnia and More
What a great send off with a food package. Yum. People around the world are so nice. You always have exciting bus rides and boarder crossings to share with us. Sorry the haircut wasn't so great. Glad you didn't jump off the bridge. Traveling in high season can be tough. Thanks for taking us along.
21st September 2016

Bosnia and More
I think the haircut may have been more dangerous than jumping off the bridge.
1st November 2016

absolutely love it!!!
This my friends for me is a must see!! I was considering to work it in to my recent Eastern Europe trip, but the decided on Romania instead. You not a geri Scotty, those stone path are a public liability, disaster waiting to happen. Great to hear your both loving the vibe of these places and all they have to offer. And the people, how far have they come, love it all. I too used to love Cevapi, the bee's. Maybe they were mourning their long lost field friend? xx
1st November 2016

absolutely love it!!!
Traudy all you needed to do was extend your holiday by another week or two and you could have fitted it in, just so easy. The world is just too big and filled with too many incredible places, and I am sure on your next one Sarajevo and Mostar will be on the list.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb