Into the former Jugoslavia


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » East » Sarajevo
February 12th 2008
Published: February 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After Budapest, we were facing the issue of where we wanted to travel to next on the trip. We had about 7 days until we were scheduled to be in Venice to meet up with our friends Pete and Fallon. We looked at where trains in Budapest would take us and we decided to go to Belgrade, Serbia.

Our experience with the Serbs started right when we entered the train. We shared a compartment with a younger women named Stela. What an interesting and fun person to share a 7 hour train ride! We talked nonstop the whole way. A Serbian living in Hungary, Stela was eager and willing to share her thoughts on anything from Serbian Politics to working for big evil corporations to EU membership to Cinema.

Arriving in Belgrade, we were excited to meet more Serbians and experience the Serbian Culture. We were not disappointed. We spent an evening in the Bohemian Quarter of Belgrade where we were treated to traditional Serbian desserts and live music. We danced and talked with young Belgrade Professionals late into the night. So much fun!!!!

Living up to the Belgrade stereotype, Daron even chatted with the host of the hostel and his friends until 3:30am. (For the Belgradians, this is an early hour to sleep.)

Additionally, we enjoyed seeing the sights: the Tesla Museum, several Orthodox churches - including the largest one in the world - and browsing around an old market along the Danube. We also explored the castle grounds, now one of Belgrade's many parks.

A few days later, we took the train to Ljubljana, the capital of the small country of Slovenia. What a difference between the 2 cities that used to be part of Yugoslavia! Slovenia is a recent member of the EU and already on the Euro. The city is like a smaller version of Vienna and Prague combined. We wondered the streets, shopped in the town market, climbed the castle tower, and experienced the beginning of Slovenia's Carnevale Celebration. We also went to the National Art Gallery, where a highlight included a classical painting called "Dogs Fighting Bears." We're not kidding - look it up. Daron even got a postcard of this memorable painting.

While in Slovenia, we also took a day trip to Lake Bled and Lake Bohinj. While both of these locations are usually packed with tourists in the summer, they we empty and peaceful for us to explore.

There's still more to get you all caught up on, but we don't want this entry to get too long. Tune in soon for a summary of Venice; Zagreb, Croatia; Plitvice Lakes National Park; and Sarajevo, B and H (where we are right now).

Daron and Kirstin

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb