Don't Forget


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » East » Sarajevo
August 2nd 2007
Published: September 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Stari Most (Old Bridge)Stari Most (Old Bridge)Stari Most (Old Bridge)

This old bridge was actually built in 1994. The original bridge was built in 1556 but was destroyed by Croat shelling in 1993.
I was in Bosnia last year but only had chance to visit Mostar. This year I only had time to visit Sarajevo but unfortunately seeing as my camera was broken here are a few snaps from 2006.

One thing that struck me in Sarajevo, that was present in Mostar but not to the same extent, are the constant reminders of the war. I appreciate that Sarajevo was under siege for three years and four months and must have been a living hell after the Bosnian Serb military commander, Ratko Mladic, gave the order: “Shoot at slow intervals until I order you to stop. Shell them until they can’t sleep, don’t stop until they are on the edge of madness.”

As well as the part demolished buildings; seemingly every block of flats is covered in bullet holes and shrapnel damage. It would only take a bit of plaster and paint to erase much of the damage. Erasing the damage doesn’t have to mean forgetting what happened. In towns not too far from here in Bosnia, Croatia or Kosovo, the population have done remarkably well at redecorating, redeveloping and reconstructing their lives.

Sarajevo has the pock marks in the pavements,
Mostar's Former Front LineMostar's Former Front LineMostar's Former Front Line

This street seperated the Muslims from the Croats prior to their alliance.
occasionally filled with red cement, known as “Sarajevo roses”, often with plaques listing the names of who was killed by the particular shell. Surely they alone are a poignant enough reminder of the siege. I think there can be a difference between never forgetting and being constantly reminded.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Stari MostStari Most
Stari Most

The bridge has its own diving club. They prance about in red speedo's wanting money off tourists to dive in. The only person I saw jump was an Aussie backpacker in a wet suit. Nice one Bruce.
Stari MostStari Most
Stari Most

Yes I do like this bridge. Sorry, I did say my camera was broken so I have no photos from Sarajevo.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb