Week 41 - Margo's 20th, Rotary chorale, Liege chill-day


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Walloon Brabant
November 28th 2012
Published: December 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

16/11/2012

Tonight I headed out with Florence to “Nicky’s”, which is a bar I never been to in the middle of Verviers and Jalhay. It was Florence’s friend Margo’s 20th birthday party, so of course there was the cake at the beginning of the night. It was cool though, the low-key atmosphere meant I had some big ol’ convo’s with some of the new Belges I met. Played some pool, drank some beer, chatted a hell of a lot… It was a sweet night. Won the pool, which here in Belgium means a beer too. Finally when 2 o’clock swung around, Flo needed some sleep (she had scouts the next day), and so we retreated back to chez nous.

17/11/2012

Slept in till 11 today, and it felt awesommme. Needed to catch up on all the hours I loose during the week. Spent today starting uni applications, editing my blog, photo’s, and relaxing a bit for the first time in a while. Tonight however, I was off to a ‘Choral’ thing with my rotary club. We went to the same place as the Talent show earlier this year, and sat down to a spaghetti dinner with some future rotary students leaving for America in a few months from now. It was spaghetti, and afterwards we were selling tickets to the people who came to raise money for the tombola. The choral itself was alright, a group of 25 or so people who each had a solo (French) song that they’d sing, after which they’d act as backup singer for the others on their songs. The evening went till about 11, after which we had a few verres .

18/11/2012

Today I headed to liege to catch a movie, and have a look around the oldest market in Belgium. We got there in the pouring rain, but checking out all the puppies, chickens, birds, and clothes and stuff you could buy was fun. I really wanted to buy a white dove (it was like 5 euros… ) and let it free off a bridge. But apparently they could just re-catch it. So didn’t end up doing it. But after a Durum, we went to watch Skyfall, the new James Bond film (in French) to soak up a large part of the afternoon. It was an amazing movie, and when you can understand everything in another language there’s a really liberating feeling about the fact that you can keep up with French speakers, even if it’s just at a movie level. We polished off the rest of the afternoon at a bar, and chilled out before 5 o’clock swung around, and we all went back to our respective home towns for Sunday night dinner with our families.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb