Bastogne Memorial


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Walloon Brabant
November 12th 2021
Published: November 12th 2021
Edit Blog Post

The Siege of Bastogne was an engagement in December 1944 between American and German forces at the Belgian town of Bastogne as part of the larger Battle of the Bulge and today Finn took us to the Battle of The Bulge Monument.

The views of the surrounding countryside, in which some of the fiercest fighting during WWII occurred were widespread and looked even more special with beautiful shades of autumn.

The shape of the building is a Star with all 50 States inscribed on it & the Insignia of participating battalions are shown on the walls, representing the 76,890 killed and wounded during December 1944–January 1945 German offensive.

Also located within the memorial is a chapel/crypt, with mosaic triptych to represent 3 religions Judaism, Catholicism and Protestantism.

There is also a museum which Finn had visited & found very interested.

The temporary exhibition organised as part of the celebrations of the 75th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge and the 30th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall. These works are on sections of the Berlin Wall from Berlin’s no man’s land.

This was a very respectful and interesting tour through the eyes
of such an inspirational young man during his school exchange programme in Belgium.

Well done Finn.



https://www.heygo.com/tours/eurofinn-europe-through-a-teenagers-eyes


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement








Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb