Alden Biesen Schots Festival


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Limburg
September 9th 2017
Published: September 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

I went along to this festival as a guest of my sister who plays a tenor drum in the Essex Caledonian Pipe Band. The journey over there on a coach was extremely slow due mainly to a road accident and delayed ferries after earlier bad weather. We were staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Hasselt and on arrival (after 8) only had time to drop bags in our rooms and meet in the lobby to go out for dinner. The man who organised the trip knew of a restaurant from previous visits and led us across the town to it. It was probably nearing 9 when the restaurant staff agreed that they could accommodate us and they recommended 3 dishes - chicken stew in a pastry (turned out to be a vol-au-vent), beef casserole in beer sauce and racks of pork ribs. The main courses were served with potatoes (fries or mashed) and salad. Most of the group chose one of those and drinks were served whilst waiting for the meals. All portions were huge but after a long and tiring day were much appreciated.

Saturday morning dawned rather gloomy but brightened as we headed out to Alden Biesen castle in the Bilzen area, only about half hour from Maastricht. Coaches had to drive around the town and come in to the castle down a hill but at the top of that the police seemed to think we should unload. They then decided that as we were early we could be dropped by the entrance to the festival, unload and then the coach would go back to the school to park. Rain was in the air but it was not serious as we carried all the instruments and gear to the field where the band members erected a gazebo to store their stuff. All members then tuned their pipes or drums before practising their piece. Grade 4 was started at 10 and the Essex band due on at 10.40. The competition began and those of us watching went to find good viewing points around the arena. The Essex band was announced exactly on time and we could see them ready to come into the competition but for several minutes they did not arrive, they were announced twice more but still made no appearance until at last they marched round just as the skies opened with the heaviest and most persistant downpour of the whole day. Rather than a shower it was a deluge that caused the audience to run for shelter but the band played on getting totally soaked, it seemed so unfair that they were held up longer than they were to play. The next performers wore their rain capes.

After that, our group dispersed, the band to put their instruments in the gazebo and the guests to wait for them in a nearby tent where the dancing competition was underway. When my sister joined me we wandered the stalls selling all kinds of Celtic goods and checked out the programme. We returned to see the Essex Grade 3 band play their piece then had a waffle lunch and at some point had a coffee. Rather than use Euros, the event has a system of ticket buying so you need to purchase them before obtaining food and drink. The current exchange rate is extremely poor so the cost of 2 coffees (small and only half a cup) was very expensive at £5.

Across the road from the fields for competitions, tents for stalls and marquee or beer tent was the castle itself. More was happening over there and we watched an amusing demonstration of how Highlanders wore and used the early kilts (a belted plaid called a Feileadh-mohr). We finally found the stables theatre where the folk group, Aizle were playing and were able to sit in the warm and dry to enjoy their music. I particularly enjoyed Graham Mackenzie's lively fiddle playing. It was not long before the Welsh Guards were due to play so we returned to the competition arena where I was able to secure quite a good spot to film - however, the band did not enter as planned and was just stood in one spot as by now the whole area was a quagmire despite a fair quantity of straw spread about. At 5 the massed bands assembled, played a few bits and stood for the awards ceremony. Most of them wore their capes as had most bands playing the competition after the initial downpour. The Essex Caledonian Grade 3 band came 4th in their group and the whole band won the public vote trophy. There was something to celebrate! It was time to pack away as quickly as possible, load the coach and head back to Hasselt.

My sister and I did not want to rush out for a meal again so whilst she showered I explored the town looking at the local neighbourhood before checking out some restaurants. We later returned to the town centre to have an excellent meal at Botanique, a burger bar with a difference. Everything on the menu is designed and created by the owners with many exciting and unusual combinations of flavours, a wide range of vegetarian or vegan. We had a chicken with mango and one with sweet potato, pumpkin and vegetable. The desserts are also amazing and we had the chocolate and avocado cake and a tub of tiramisu. A very tasty choice.

Sunday was just a traveling home day so the coach was loaded and off by 9 am. Again we experienced hold ups - a check of all coaches by Belgian police on the outskirts of Brussels, that read drivers tachometers and checked luggage holds with sniffer dogs and another thorough check at the port in Calais with dogs. Unfortunately the coach next to use had an illegal stowaway beneath it and we left the poor folk from that stood by a fence outside the passport control cabin. I dread to think how long they would be stuck there as the other drivers of that company were saying that the bus would have to be dismantled! Our wait for a delayed ferry was insignificant in comparison.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb