In Search of Colin Farrell


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
August 30th 2008
Published: September 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Brussels NoordBrussels NoordBrussels Noord

Here comes the train to Brugge
Following a predictable route we decided we would head to Brugge for a day trip. After rising at the leisurely time of 9am, we had breakfast at the hotel, and took as much extra pastries and fruit away with us as our bag could comfortably carry. Seems you can't take the backpacker out of us, even on a short weekend away!! We walked to the train station (Brussels Noord again). On the way we were treated to the rather fetching sight of a real version of the "Manneken Pis" statue. Only difference was this person was older, and more haggered. Oh forgot to mention i could only describe his package as "rather generous". I think he was about to go, but got stage fright upon our arrival.

Got to the train station, and succeeded as we always seem to do, to find the shortest queue, ie., the one with the least amount of people waiting to be served. And again as we alway seem to do, we found the longest queue, as the customers in front would buy a ticket of some description, leave, then come back to the counter to question some detail or another. Pretty frustrating, but luckily
Brugge - BicyclesBrugge - BicyclesBrugge - Bicycles

A sea of Bicycles, now where did i leave mine!
our train wasn't leaving for another 20 minutes, so no hurry. It cost 26 euro return for 2 people, wish we'd had our interrail tickets again!!

Seemed like quite a number of other tourists, and locals had decided a train trip to Brugge or Oostende on the coast would be a good idea. Our train arrived on time (trains in belgium always seemed to be on time from our experience), problem was it was packed full, so we were forced to become toilet attendents for our carriage. I had this strange urge to open and hold the door for passengers, explain that there was someone in there already, or generally reassure them that i was not a pervert. I think they understood.

The 1 and a half hour trip passed quickly. We couldn't see any of the countryside that we passed, but we were not short on entertainment. In between serving my Toilet customers, we were treated to a spectacle of cruelness by a young child. I can only describe him as an evil little thing. He spent quite a large portion of the trip trying to close the automatic door on another child (a stranger to him
BruggeBruggeBrugge

Typical of the almost fairytale quality of some of the buildings in Brugge
by the way!), who was a lot smaller. He'd then throw wild punches at his mother, father, yet another stranger, and pretty much anybody. He even attacked the automatic door a few times. What a loving little soul!!

After watching "Damien" for the trip, we were eventually greeted with the announcement that we were arriving in Brugge. We soon arrived at what must be a very new station as it gleemed with cleanliness and sparkle. We bought a map at the tourist office and proceeded to tear it apart until we had it down to a manageable size. Even though i look foreign when i'm abroad, i hate to scream tourist. I think there is nothing more "come, please rob me, or rip me off", than walking around with a giant map in front of your face and a camera and fanny pack hanging out of you. You know who you are!! First thing we noticed after leaving the train station was a bicycle shed, but i wouldn't call it a bicycle shed as it was massive. Must have been a few thousand bikes parked in it, have no idea, how you'd find your bike again.

First thing you reach after the bicycle shed, is a ring road, and then a ring canal around Brugge itself. We decided to walk along this canal for a while. The sun was shining, and it was warm, lots of tourists and lots of locals around too. We found to some facination and irritation that most cyclists in Brugge love using those bells they have on their bikes. They use them every half a second or so. Funny to see tourists scattering like cows in a field at the sound of them though.

Brugge compares with Venice in that there are main laneways and streets that everyone uses, but if you go down a side street, you can be all on your own, with beautiful houses, with bicycles outside them, window boxes with bright red floors searching for the sun, residents busy just inside their doors or cleaning their windows. Its nice to see these streets.

We wandered gradually towards the Grasmkt square and just before that took a rest and sat on a window ledge, watching all the tourists passing by. The sounds of hooves could also be heard, always coming from the left, gradually growing in noise level,
Brugge - Bell TowerBrugge - Bell TowerBrugge - Bell Tower

Can you see Colin Farrell?
and then a horse drawn carriage would appear, and roll down the cobble stone street in front of us and the clip clop sound would drift off to the right. In the chocolate shop (of which there are many) across the street, they sold a fabulous selection of Chocolate bums, and breasts, while in a chocolate shop in another part of Brugge, they sell chocolate penises, with white chocolate being used rather creatively (i'll leave it to your dirty imaginations!). I was tempted to buy one, i won't lie to you!! "Yes, miss shop assistant i would like 3 chocolate penises and four pairs of Breasts"

After resting we literally walked around the corner to Grasmkt square. Its a beautiful open square, and more simpler than Grand Place in Brussels, but equally pretty. We'd seen the movie "In Brugge", and sadly this was one of the main reasons we'd decided to visit. We spent much of our time on this square trying to figure out where the midget would've stood, or where Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson would've sat out and had a drink!! Whats that i hear you say, what about the Bell Tower scene? Of course we
Brugge RooftopsBrugge RooftopsBrugge Rooftops

View from the Bell Tower
had to go up the bell tower and see if we could survive the fall, i regret to inform you that it probably isn't possible..... to jump off, it's all fenced off. But the 360 degree views are excellent, and well worth the 5 euro each up. There are about 350 or so steps up to the top of the bell tower, and they get progressively more precarious, but a great experience nevertheless. Try and organise your trip up there, around the hour mark, as then you can be there when the bells, or music is played from the machines at the top of the Bell Tower.

After a dizzyingly fast decent of the Bell Tower we both required a toilet break. Now my friends, everyone will tell you about the beauty, and history of Belgium, of its chocolate and 2000 beers, but no one will tell you about their other amazing achievement. The Belgians have managed to put a sharp eyed toilet attendent at the entrance to every single public toilet in all of Belgium. What this means to you is forking out anywhere between 30 to 50 cent to use the facilities. Now i know why the real Manneken Pis earlier was going in the street. Trust me when i say that we tried to sneak past them when they were not looking or not in attendence, but its like they have some kind of sixth sense that they can tell when those bladders are full. Maybe we give off some sort of weak electrical disturbance, a bit like what attracts a shark to a struggling/dying fish. As you would exit they would nab you and make you pay up. I wonder how they calculate the cost of 30 to 50 cent per person, its quite precise! The facilities are generally very good though, so that is somewhat of a plus.

After being relieved of some cents and some urine, we decided to have a beer, in the markt square. We got a wonderful seat facing out into the square, and were soon sitting with a big tankard of Belgian beer for me, and a big Ice Cream dessert for Gina. Couldn't get more perfect.

Had a long look around the side streets, and shopping streets of Brugge, before boarding our train back to Brussels. Delighted to report that we got seats and were able
Manneken PisManneken PisManneken Pis

This fella was not shy and just kept on going every time we seen him!
to enjoy some of the views. Ended the evening with a trip down to the "Manneken Pis" statue (statue of a small boy pissing, pretty self explanatory!). He wasn't dressed up in a costume, as he does be normally, but still nice to see.

Next day we took a trip out the European Headquarters (not for work!). Felt we should see the buildings, as we are here. Nothing really to report, they are new enough buildings, i presume, only recently completed. We also visited the "Parc du Cinquantenaire" which has a huge Arc De Triomph Arch in it, with a Belgian flag drapped from the centre of the arch. Visited another park that day, which had some cool dance music playing.

Really enjoyed our trip to Belgium, much more than just European Bureaucrats. I challenge you all to try out the place, it really lifted our spirits as we were having a toughish time of things recently. It has rejeuvenated us, as we prepare for our big trip later in the year. Watch this space!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

BrusselsBrussels
Brussels

Parc Du Cinquantenaire


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb