BRUSSELS & BRUGES


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
July 10th 2008
Published: July 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

BRUSSELS & BRUGES



I far-welled Paris good bye and boarded a train for the hour and half journey to Brussels, where nine years earlier I was fascinated by it's magnificent central square, GRAND PLACE. It was a passing visit en route to some place else, and I wanted to experience and feel the same buzzing atmosphere this square had offered back then. This imposing 15th century market square of superb art Nouveal and Gothic architectural buildings flanked on all four sides lived up to my expectations again, as i remembered it back then, it felt like I had not left. Diners dinning out around the the perimeter restaurants and the locals sitting on the cobble stone pavement square having a quite drink and discussing their day gone by, tourist busily capturing every detail of the surrounding buildings and life in the square. This time I would be in Brussels much longer, time to explore what this city has to offer.


Art Nouveal architecture, cafes, bars, restaurant's, galleries and Belgium chocolates is how I experienced much more of Brussels this time and not to mentioned their fine beer. Their local brew went down well after a long day of site seeing. Most sites are within 20min. walking distance of the Grand Place and what was further out was easily accessible by their efficient public transport system. Three days in Brussels was well spent with the climax of Spain winning the 2008 European Cup - I have been keeping a close watch on the 2008 Euro Cup, watching most of the games in the various cities I have visited. I don't know why but I had been following Spain all the way and when they beat Italy in the quarter finals, this was one happy Italian, (it could be because the Italian's knocked out Australia in the world cup) how I wanted to be in Rome at that very time and see some sorry faces. Anyway it was a thrilling match.


As recommended by a fellow traveller I headed further North an hour out of Brussels to Bruge, this medieval town is Belgium's most popular destination and, despite the crowds of tourists I was glad I did not miss this part of Belgium. Bruge's nerve centre is the historic MARKT, a large open square from which rises Belgium's most famous BELFORT (Bell Tower). Climbing the 366 exhausting steps to the top bell tower rewarded you with spectacular panoramic views of Bruges, views of building tops and the intertwining canals through the town it self. It was well worth the climb. - OH yes if by chance you do pass by Bruges and climb the tower, climb in between the hour, the sound of the 5 o'clock bells is frightening at first but deafening when it's right beside you.
Bruges as compact as it is, once protected by fortified walls and entry via four main gates (which still remain standing today) is a place you actually want to get lost in (and very easy to find your way out) and explore it's many narrow streets, canals, canal crossings and admire the wonderful housing along its canals.



So I leave you with some of my happy snaps of both Brussels and Bruges.








Additional photos below
Photos: 101, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Atomium - The AtomAtomium - The Atom
Atomium - The Atom

Built for the 1958 World Expo


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb