Belgium Biking June 2011


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Antwerp Province
June 26th 2011
Published: June 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The weather man called for cloudy and 0% precipitation! A biking day indeed! We chose a biking route that would take us out of town and along what looked like canals, some of our favorite riding! We headed to Deurne, a town of 70,000 that dates back to 1185, from there we biked to Wijnegem, one of the most expensive municipality of the Flanders with a small population of only 8,800. Wijnegem has the biggest Shopping Mall in the Benelux, oh dear, we were with the chickens and the roosters and missed it, oh me oh my! This is where we picked up the Albert Canal, a very very wide canal!

The riding along the canal was wonderful, no big wind, and although it was cloudy there was no rain! It was a very busy day for outdoor activities for the Belgiums, we saw alot of competitive bicycling - as they whized by us - as well as swimming, jet skiing, dirt biking and fishing. We also rode through the Provinciaal Grooendomein Rivierenhof, which had a large children's fair going on at the castle!

The bike routes went from busy paths along highways to dirt trails with alot of mud! We saw gees, ducks, cows, sheep, chickens and horses, as well as some roosters that had gotten out of their fields and were running about in a median on a very busy street!

The trails were wonderful, no rain and we biked about 35 miles - a great day!

After a much needed shower we ventured out for dinner - we found an outside restaurant that happened to have one table left! The Kom Sjee Twa on Walvisstraat. Their menu was in Flemish, but Jean ordered Chicken pieces in a sauce, and I got pepper steak and a salad, they went well with a Hoegaarden bear! Both were wonderful!

We actually turned on the television when we got back - after a bit of trying - we managed to find a couple episodes of Brothers and Sisters in English before calling it a day!

Kathleen and Jean Biking Belgium 2011


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

RoostersRoosters
Roosters

They were busy talking to each other!
Taking a breakTaking a break
Taking a break

Or was KS waiting for JS?
A small town churchA small town church
A small town church

It was locked :-(


Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1129s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb