Diamond Capital of the World


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Antwerp Province » Antwerp
May 6th 2005
Published: May 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Antwerp Central StationAntwerp Central StationAntwerp Central Station

This is the view you get as soon as you step off the trains. Don't get that at the metro station in Houston!
The Antwerp train station is amazing. All the platforms are in a massive glass-canopied structure, and the glasswork and architecture of the central station were almost catherdral quality. Good stuff.

I wandered around forever trying to find the visitor's information center only to learn that all the signs pointing me around were obsolete, as the center had been relocated into the central station lobby. There's 1.5 hours of my life I'll never get back!

I took in the massive Catherdral of Our Lady and the 4 gigantic Ruben's works inside, toured the Steen Castle and the naval museum therein, and also wandered around the huge shopping district, including all the diamond stores. All the while, music from the movie Snatch kept playing in my head and I had to chuckle.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The Catherdral of Our LadyThe Catherdral of Our Lady
The Catherdral of Our Lady

Definitely the biggest Cathedral I've ever been in. Packed with artwork, paintings, statues, and relics, including 4 huge works by Ruben, the patron artist of Antwerp.
Antwerp Town Hall and FountainAntwerp Town Hall and Fountain
Antwerp Town Hall and Fountain

This fountain in the square in front of the Antwerp town hall commemorates Silvius Brabo, who by legend cut off the hand of the giant who had been taxing ships on the River Scheldt and threw it into the river, thereby leading to the name Hantwerpen, meaning 'hand throwing'. Take off the H and there goes Antwerpen!


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb