Nationalfeiertag


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
October 26th 2006
Published: October 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

GefahrGefahrGefahr

Danger is nearby.
Ok, this is from the Nationalfeiertag (Austria's independence day, more or less) in Vienna. Everything is closed, but there are celebrations, and stuff all over town. For instance, the Hofburg and Parlament are having 'Tag der Ofnen Türe' (Day of open doors) so you can go see some of the government buildings for free. The army (Bundesheer) was also on display celebrating at Heldenplatz (Hero's Square).

So, while at Heldenplatz, we ran into a lot of the 'in' crowd... such as Heinz Fischer (the President), Herr Gusenbauer (the head of the Socialist Party of Austria, and probably the future Chancellor), as well as his People's Party counterpart, and current Chancellor: Wolfgang Schüssel, and a crowd of Austrian generals.

This is some grainy footage of some of the soldiers marching around. I think the party in front of us was busy recognizing a loved one


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Tanks anywayTanks anyway
Tanks anyway

and yes, you can see that Eric and I were actually there.
SecuritySecurity
Security

The best part of using the Army for an event, is that they come with their own security and fire protection. Note the Minorettenkirke in the background.
SoldatSoldat
Soldat

Guardin' something. Note the equiptment, because there will be a test later.
Legions of TroopsLegions of Troops
Legions of Troops

Marching through the streets! Note how sweet the officer's uniform is.
On Parade!On Parade!
On Parade!

These are, from what I could tell, the regular infantry. I find it interesting how old their uniforms appear; that they haven't adopted camoflage.
On the RoadOn the Road
On the Road

Modern, Stark, Schnell. ok, I stole that from their posters. But this was the big lightboard they had up, and I like the way this came out.
Anti-AircraftAnti-Aircraft
Anti-Aircraft

The purple rounds on display are phosphorous 'tracer' rounds.
AircraftAircraft
Aircraft

A Eurofighter "Typhoon" - one of the 18 in the Austrian Luftstreitkräfte.
Wien GarteWien Garte
Wien Garte

The Wien Garte (Viennese Guard), displayed on teh light screen.
Zee GermansZee Germans
Zee Germans

For some reason unbeknownst to me, there were lots of German proper soldiers here too. I don't know what to make of that.
HelicoptersHelicopters
Helicopters

Helicopters
There were so many tanksThere were so many tanks
There were so many tanks

lots o tanks everywhere
The land of Red BullThe land of Red Bull
The land of Red Bull

They had remote control Red Bull helicopters (which were incidentally had their fuel in Red Bull can looking fuel tanks)
Das ParlamentDas Parlament
Das Parlament

Neo-cassical style courtesty of the 19th century
AthenaAthena
Athena

The statue is of Athena, the goddess of wisdom. However, the big joke around Wien is that she does not face parlament because the wisdom is not to be found there!
Sitzugssaal des BundesratesSitzugssaal des Bundesrates
Sitzugssaal des Bundesrates

This is where the Federal Assembly sits, which is, one of their houses of legislature.
NeoclassicalnessNeoclassicalness
Neoclassicalness

The roman dudes are guys who were Roman statesmen. On the far right we have Seneca, then Augustus Caesar, some other Roman dudes, and on the left we have the old kings of Rome.
Heinz FischerHeinz Fischer
Heinz Fischer

This room had pictures of the Presidents of Austria. Most were traditional portraits, but the current presidents was all modern for some reason.
Sitzungssaal des NationalratesSitzungssaal des Nationalrates
Sitzungssaal des Nationalrates

This is where the other house, the National Assembly, sits. It was bombed out during WWII so it was made in the 50s, and is supposedly one of the best examples of 50s architechture in Vienna. OK.
RathausRathaus
Rathaus

This is the Rathaus (town hall). Big party goin on.


27th October 2006

Germans in Austria?
Your right, that is a little wierd for the Germans (in camo, no less) hanging out in uniform at the Austrian independence celebration. Not a very good undercover agent. I dig the neo classical style parliment building. Athena is a good choice, but I think Heaphistus would be a cooler statue.

Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb