Poland, Slovakia, and Austria


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
August 26th 2006
Published: August 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Czorsztyn and Szczawnica, Poland - August 22


Rented a car right outside of Krakow, Poland to go to the south of Poland to the mountains. Dad was the driver and I was the navigator. It worked out wonderfully. We went off directions that the guy at the car rental told us and then stopped in Nowa Targ as recommended. I kept reverse directions for the way home.

We arrived in Czorsztyn and went for a short walk in the forest and came upon a kiosk for a boat ride. Boarded the boat and were off to who knows where. Ha! The boat took us to an old castle that we explored. Had fun climbing up and down the winding stairs. It was back on the boat for the trip back across the water. There was one more castle to explore back ont hte other side. This one was not as restored as the first, but it was interesting to see the differences.

Drove for another 50 or so kilometers and arrived in Szczawnica, a mountain resort area. It was so green with all of the trees. WE found our hotle and it was from the communist times. Dad opened the door and said, no! Have to remember that my adad loves hostels and he said no. Ha! The beds were fold out couches that his Aunt had 30 or so years ago.

We decided to drive around looking for a pension, a bed and breakfast type place. After driving around for 20 minutes we found a beuatiful pension. Asked the lady if she had a room for two and she showed us one. There was only one bed. Dad said he would sleep on the floor. I was thinking no way. As I looked at the floor I saw a hide away bed and dad was happy. The lady asked if we were hungry and took us downstairs to eat.

After dinner Dad and I went down to the main pathway through the forest and went for a walk through the woods. I saw a sign that said 15 mins and then something else in Polish. No idea. Dad and I came to a small shack and dad asked how much. He though tit was a national forest and we had to pay to enter. The guy in uniform said passports. He explained it was the Polish Slovakian boarder. Ha! We walked to another country after dinner. We came upon another guard shack and once agon dad asked how much. Too funny.

Szczawnica to Krakow, Poland to Vienna, Austria - August 23


Woke up early for European standards and headed back to Krakow. Caught an afternoon train to Vienna, Austria. Our train was delayed by boarder crossings - Poland to CZ Republic and CZ Republic to Austria. Arrived in Vienna and found Pension Kraml.


Vienna, Austria - August 24


Had a beautiful breakfast at the pension and then it was off to explore Vienna. Dad and I climbed all 343 stair to the top of the bell tower at Stephens cathedral, celebrated Morart's 250 birthday at the Mozart Museum, viewed the jewels in the Treasury at the Hofburg Palace (the Hofburgs married their own relatives just like in the south), took a tour of the city on tram number 2 with a stop for dinner at the international food area, and went for a ride on a 64.75 m ferris wheel with dad (he doesn't like heights, but saw the ferris wheel in a movie and always wanted to go on it).

Vienna, Austria - August 25


Went to Schollosse (sp) Palace which I think was the Hofburgs's summer residence. It was absolutely stunning. The rooms weere decorated with furniture and paintings, just as if they still lived there. I loe to see art in its natural place. Walked the grounds and admired all of their beauty.

Back to the Hofburgh Palace to see the Sissy Museum and the palace's apartments. They were lovely as well, but not as stunning as the ones at the Schollosse (sp) Palace. Took a stroll around that
the Palace and enjoyed that architecture. One part of the Hofburgh Palace is the most beautiful building that I have ever seen. It was beautiful.

Later that evening we wandared the steets of Vienna and took a metro and tram ride to get dinner. We are using Rick Steve's travel guide and he recommended a beautiful place in the outskirts of the city. It was a lovely little place at the middle of a path. The locals drink wine and eat here. Dad and I had a glass of wine and a beautiful dinner.

Vienna, Austria - August 26


Today went for a bike ride tour of Vienna. The bike tours are my favorite way to see a new city. Nothing is better than feeling the wind in my face and feeling free. I am going to buy a road bike when I get home. It will be so mch fun!

Ate a delicious picnic lunch in the park with Dad. Then it was home for a nap and dinner.

Discovery


It has been a great trip to discover who I am. I have recognized that I am too independant and that it is okay to rely on others. U2 - Sometimes You Can't




Advertisement



26th August 2006

Wie geht's?
Wow! Not too many people can say they walked to another country and back after dinner. How cool is that?! Aah, the Vienna ferris wheel and heuriger - did you try their Granny Smith apple wine? Glad you guys are having a splendid time:-D! Miss you, Cheryl
28th August 2006

Enjoying your trip
Hi Julie, I have been enjoying your trip through your blog. Tell your Dad hello for me. See you and the pictures when you return.
29th August 2006

wow
wow! I liked to hear from you and find out the neat thing you and your dad had seen. I almost felt I was there with you. Take care and hope to hear from you soon! Katie

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb