Day 14


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
July 22nd 2006
Published: July 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Down the by riverDown the by riverDown the by river

I dragged everyone to a river and there was nothing there, but at least they were good sports about it
Today was a very busy day in Wien. It was our only full day here so we wanted to fit in as much as possible. After breakfast in the hotel we headed to the City Center to make our way to the Dunabe River. We got faulty directions from the hotel staff and got a little lost, but we found some cool stuff along the way, like a street market. We finally made it to the riverfront and there was nothing there, at least not at the part we were in. We stayed and took a few pictures, the temperature was a lot cooler by the water!

We went back to the city center and got off the subway right at Stephensdom. We took some pictures . We ran into a group of Asian students who wanted us to be in a photo with them, and then we all took a silly picture by the model of the church pretending to be monsters.

We wandered a bit after that, but I think we all agreed that we found the coolest things when we had no idea where we were going. We finally found the Leopold Museum, an (air conditioned!) art museum. It featured a lot of Austrian art and also had an exhibit on the portrayal of women in art, which was very interesting.

We ended up eating at the international festival, which was right by the city hall where the film festival was last night. I had some Mexican food, which is what I had been craving since maybe day 2 of the trip. I know I never actually ate any Austrian food while we were there, which was a shame.

We went back to the Imperial Palace (where we went yesterday) to go in, but none of the museums looked too interesting. So after that we went across town to Schobrunn, a huge castle. It didn't look like a castle from the outside, it was definitely a newer building, but once was got in and saw the grounds, we were in awe. There was a huge hill that we walked up and got great pictures of the city.

Schobrunn closed at 6, and we made our way back to the city center. The rest of the group wanted to go to the Sacher Hotel to get some Sacher Tort, some sort of famous cake
SchonbrunnSchonbrunnSchonbrunn

View from the top!
or something. I opted out, I was too cheap to pay over $10 for a supposedly famous, smaller than a CD cake that I had never heard of (I was also grumpy and hot at this point, and mad about the high cost of everything in Vienna, especially since Prague is such a cheap city. I think that maybe I spent half of my Euros on water). After the tort we went to an Italian restaurant for dinner and red wine. We sat outside, it was really nice.

After dinner we were pretty tired from our long day of sightseeing and trying to navigate the public transportation system (we were pros by the end of the day!) so we went back to the hotel, talked for a while, and crashed into bed.

Advertisement



24th July 2006

Sausages?
I am so disappointed that you didn't eat any sausages. Actually we enjoyed reading about vienna. Have a great week!
24th July 2006

Had to be Ray
The sausage comment had to be from Ray! (Now that I think about it though, I wonder if they do have vienna sausages in Vienna???)
26th July 2006

Good to hear from you!
We have not been able to read your blogs because we have been out of town. It great to hear that you are doing well and not ill anymore. Sounds like Vienna was a neat experience. We are leaving for Nebraska for my 50th class reunion tomorrow. We will go to the Muny with your folks and Kelly and Doug in the evening and then head out in the morning. We will be looking forward to your Blog when we return to Cape on Monday. Lots of love, Grandma and Grandpa R.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb