Vienna Day 23


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
February 23rd 2011
Published: February 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for the roughness of yesterdays entry, but we had a problem and had to rewrite the whole thing, so we rushed it. It should have gone up last night but we have no idea what happended there.

So spending the night on a train wasn't to bad, we did have an entire 6 seater room to 0urselves with fully reclinable seats. But the same as planes we both have trouble sleeping on them. We got into Vienna quite early, around 7.30 and man was it cold. The temperature wasn't so bad and there isn't any snow, but there was so much wind that it means our faces are frozen, more on that later. We had to wait about an hour to check in but we luckily got into our room just after 9.00 so we could begin our sight seeing straight away.

We quickly ventured around and took in some of the sights close buy and saw some of the natural history museum and other art centres. I think ever second building we walked past was in some way related to the arts. Out the front of the Rathaus (Townhall) they have an ice skating rink set up which goes along all the paths in the park out the front as well as having a large open area. We are thinking that we may come back to hire some skates and do this, but its all dependent on time at the moment. We headed a bit further north in the city and saw the Votivkirche which seems to be under renovation and had a giant BMW ad on the front and was closed to public access. None the less the spires of the church were very impressive.

At walking was cut short here as the combination of the cold and our tiredness from limited sleep on the train caught up with us. We spend a few hours napping and then caught up with a friend, Reinhard, who lives in Vienna. He was nice enough to takes us to a resteraunt which had ridiculously large food, you can see by the pictures the size of Holly's Schweinbraten and my Schnitzel. Funnily enough we found out that in Austria Potatos aren't called Kartoffel like in Germany, but Erdapfel (Roughly earth apple), true fact, oh and Tomato isn't Tomaten but Paradeis. Makes it a bit trickier when ordering Salat. The meal was really good and cheap and it wall really good to meet Reinhard and person. Did we mention it gets coldier at night. Apparently it is supposed to hit -10 tonight. I'll be sleeping next to the radiator.

Tomorrow we are going to meet up with Reinhard again and see some of the sites in the centre of Vienna and afterwards see the Schonbrunn Castle which is about 20 minutes outside of the city. Apparently it's like the Versaille of Vienna.

Till then,
Nick and Holly


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



24th February 2011

Nice to hear from my long lost son and psuedo daughter again. Love Mum

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb