Vienna on the Cheap


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
November 1st 2009
Published: November 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

London to Vienna ( By Car)-on the Cheap


We recently visited Austria and decided to drive there. Oh boy !! what a delight, London to Vienna in 24 hours by car. Sat Nav says !! London-France-Belgium-Holland-Germany-Austria- we arrive full of caffeine, but we’re here.Motorways were good, more importantly we avoided driving through much of France and so didn’t have to pay any toll-charges which are quite costly there- never give a frog a bone.

Motorway petrol stations are expensive 25%-30% more for Unleaded than back home, Diesels about the same. We We’re in Austria, we stop off in a little town- we go to a bank and try to change some more sterling, the rates should be, much better than in England, if I’m wrong I’m dead.. the team have gone hungary because we ran out of euros as clever clogs wanted to wait until we got to Austria - to get a better rate. We are in a small queue, which soon evaporates, great !! we’re next. A blond cuts a-smile, I ask for her the rate for the euro/pound, the answers good, I nod triumphantly to my tired troops. , I give her 10x20s, she looks at the Queens head, then she gets out a huge red folder- with colourful pictures of all kinds of what looks like supersized monopoly money. Flicking through the pages she comes to a 20 pound note., phew !! Theres only one thing wrong she has one picture of the old note and I have a mixture of the old and new notes. Red book say no!! ‘only change this one’ she says, so I end up changing the old notes. The team look at me, the're hungary/angry, its an all in one look!!.


Its dark and 11.40pm- we’ve passed by Vienna and are now off to Konningsberg, which is about 20 minutes outside of Vienna. We finally arrive, there's no were to park around here,not without getting a ticket! Our host gives us a key to garage- we're saved!!We park the car, kiss the SatNav good night and crawl off to our accommodation.
Konningsberg is pleasant enough, a typically sterile Austrian town, clean, healthy looking people- average age about 190- 212, it has a town square, takes 10 minutes to drive through the length of it and has noticably more petrol stations than I've seen condensed into such a small ispace. Maybe the're stocking up with cheap oil while it lasts !!

More to follow!!

Cheap Luxury Bastard


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.067s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb