Schnitzel Cup, Aussie Rules in Vienna


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
June 15th 2008
Published: June 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The time had come for the second leg of the CEAFL and the Schnitzel Cup in Vienna. After poor results in the previous leg staged in Zagreb, the Austrians were out for redemption. The sun was shining brightly on the gaelic stadium in Atzgersdorf. A strong crowd of wives, girlfriends, parents, friends, exchange students, and nosey people gathered to witness what was an excellent display of footy.

The first game kicked off between Austria and the Czech Republic with it being tight for the entire match. The extra legs on the bench for Austria sawthem get over the line by 4 points. Croatia A then took on Croatia B in a somewhat practice match with no points being considered during Croatia B's matches. Croatia A then had to step up again in a points match against Czech Repubic where once again the extra legs on the bench were the difference with Croatia winning comfortably. The Austrian's then had their practice match against the Croatia B team where the Austrian's rested key players and gave the inexperienced a chance to get their hands on the footy. Once again it was a tight tussle with Austria going down by 2 points.

This all set it up for the grand final between Austria and Croatia A. Going back to Zagreb results the Croatians dominated the Austrians and the Austrians were keen not to let this happen again. The physicallity stepped up a notch from the first bounce and the crowd responded with constant yelling and clapping through the game. The Croatians dominated the early part of the game but the midfield of the Austrians turned it up a gear before half time to bring the scores to even. The momentum was with the Austrians who were full of voice at the main break. They took this momentum into the second half with the first goal being kicked in awesome fashion. The game evened up again with hard tackling and a few tempers flaring. The experience and unity of the Croatians was on show as they were good enough to respond to Austria's challenges. This was enough to have them 5 points up at the final siren with the Austrians standing with hands on heads thinking about how close they had come.

The crowd and opposition players showed their appreciation for the fighting spirit of the Austrians and the amazing day they had put on. Full credit must go to the Croatians though. Having such a strong list to bring two teams to the event and win both legs of the CEAFL is an excellent achievement. Rob McTernan of Austria won man of the tournament after Sam Aldridge's brilliant recruitment. He saw the young Irishman, who has a gaelic background, playing rugby and poached him for his running, kicking, and tackling. The night finished with all teams and supporters enjoying some beers in The Roobar, owned by Austria's Ben Chick, on opening night with a few sore heads and bodies in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb