Schnitzel Boy


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
August 14th 2007
Published: September 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

If Bratislava was fairy land then the only way to describe Vienna was grand. We discovered on our first night that free Vienna Film Festival on the Rathausplatz was taking place. So, we sat and watched the orchestra outside the Rathaus (city hall) sipping on some red wine and enjoying the beautiful evening. Apparently the conductor that we were watching, Carlos Kleiber, is quite famous and taped performances of him are quite rare, so the place was packed. We watched an old Austrian man get so fed up with rude people talking during the perfomance that he nearly started a fight with a man less than half his age. Adam was ready to support him. Vienna really knows how to put on a show and we ended up going there again the next night to watch an opera performance in the nearby park and drink some exceptional red wine from Austria. The life.

Apart from drinking red wine we also spent some time checking out the Inner Stadt, the Hoffburg Palace area, and the Sigmund Freud Museum. We also spent a day out at Schloss Schonbrunn, the Hapsburg Summer Palace. Nice little summer house. The grounds were spectacular but the line to get into the palace was huge and it was about 40 degrees. What were we to do? Well... we found the pool in the palace gardens and did what every self respecting back packer would do... Spent 9 euros each on our first swim since Thailand. Soft and sunburnt.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Loves a festivalLoves a festival
Loves a festival

Especially when the vino is served in real glasses
JaneJane
Jane

Rathausplatz in the background
Schloss Schonbrunn Schloss Schonbrunn
Schloss Schonbrunn

The Habsburger Summer Palace, sometimes referred to as mini Versaille
Schloss Schonbrunn Schloss Schonbrunn
Schloss Schonbrunn

We should have gone inside but the pool beckoned


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb