Flea Markets, Imperial Apts, and St. Stephan's Cathedral


Advertisement
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
June 9th 2007
Published: June 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We started off this morning with a walk around the flea market at Naschmarket. The flea market is open every Saturday from 6:30am to 4pm and has a huge variety of antiques and collectibles for sale. It is also connected to the regular food market so we wandered around both. The sun was beating down on us with ferocious strength (which I now have the sunburn to show for) but it was a fun experienc... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

PeterskirchePeterskirche
Peterskirche

Interior of Peterskirche (this is undoubtedly one of the prettiest churches in Vienna)...
PeterskirchePeterskirche
Peterskirche

Interior of Peterskirche (this is undoubtedly one of the prettiest churches in Vienna)...
PeterskirchePeterskirche
Peterskirche

Interior of Peterskirche (this is undoubtedly one of the prettiest churches in Vienna)...
TrzesniewskiTrzesniewski
Trzesniewski

This tiny sandwich shop, located on Dorotheergasse 1, has a large variety of open-faced sandwiches to choose from (as well as tiny little beers to go with them!). You can just point at whatever looks good, or they have an English menu in case you aren't sure what to choose (I went with the menu option).
SandwichesSandwiches
Sandwiches

These tasted better than they look, especially the egg ones in the middle. The green one (spicy pepper) tasted a bit like a hot pickle... I probably wouldn't order that a second time.
St. Stephan's CathedralSt. Stephan's Cathedral
St. Stephan's Cathedral

St. Stephan's Cathedral, located in the center of Vienna, is absolutely beautiful on the outside (and is also currently being renovated, which seems to be a running theme with the churches in Vienna right now). We climed 343 steps up to about the center of the South Tower (the part that is being renovated, seen in the right side of this photo).
View of ViennaView of Vienna
View of Vienna

This is the view you see from inside the South Tower of St. Stephan's Cathedral.
View of ViennaView of Vienna
View of Vienna

This is the view you see from inside the South Tower of St. Stephan's Cathedral.
View of ViennaView of Vienna
View of Vienna

This is the view you see from inside the South Tower of St. Stephan's Cathedral.
St. Stephan's CathedralSt. Stephan's Cathedral
St. Stephan's Cathedral

Another view of St. Stephan's Cathedral...
St. Stephan's CathedralSt. Stephan's Cathedral
St. Stephan's Cathedral

Another view of St. Stephan's Cathedral...
Anker ClockAnker Clock
Anker Clock

The famous clock, built between 1911-1917 by Franz von Matsch, is located in Hoher Markt and escaped damage when the area was bombarded in 1945 during WWII.
Anker ClockAnker Clock
Anker Clock

Every hour, a new historical figure makes his way across the clock with the number for a particular hour positioned above him. Here, a new figure enters from the left as 6pm approaches.
Anker ClockAnker Clock
Anker Clock

This is the backside of the Anker Clock...definately not as pretty!
Street PerformerStreet Performer
Street Performer

This street performer (I think he was Russian) spoke perfect English and had a huge crowd entertained with his juggling act. There are several variuos performing acts set up throughout Stephansplatz, all near St. Stephan's Cathedral.



11th June 2007

Heeheehee, good thinking on the wine front! Sorry to hear you got sunburn :( Ahh, being stabbed with a file is a horrid way to die. What kind of assasin kills with a file? It sounds like you're getting to try a great selection of foods over there, your blogs always leave me feeling hungry with your descriptions. Tirimisu and nutella icecream sounds gorgeous. Vienniesse(Vieniese?) chocolates sound exciting. It sounds like it's been a very tiring day with all those stairs and walks!

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 20; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb