Back to "Normal"


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
July 30th 2006
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 64: Wednesday, July 26: Dubrovnik

Today we spent the entire day in the walled city of Dubrovnik. Dubrovnik is a town on the coast of Croatia that has been attacked throughout most of its life. Including WWII where the walls had to be rebuilt to show how it looked in the past. We had a walking tour throughout the city, including via the Placa and Main Street. After the walking tour, we were left on our own. I went to an internet cafe to send you all my latest email and pictures.

After the cafe, we headed to lunch, I had a really nice pasta dish, and then we headed off to the wall. Katya and I went around the entire city wall, a nice stroll and some incredible views and architecture that existed. After the walk, we went to a cafe to have a glass of wine and then off to a dinner cruise.

The dinner cruise was amazing. We weren´t sure what to expect, but the boat and the crew were just a ton of fun, including a free local drink and then some free wine. Dinner came and it was beautiful, chicken and zuchini grilled on the boat. After dinner, it was dark, we took some pictures of the city and then jumped into the water. What a perfect ending, the water was great and I haven´t swam in the dark in years.

After dinner we headed to a cocktail bar for dinner. I had a great Long Island and then we all caught the bus back to camp.

Day 65: Thursday, July 27: Dubrovnik to Zadar, Croatia

This was a long drive to Zadar, which is up the coast of Croatia. We headed into the town of Split on the waz up and had lunch and did a little shopping. I didn´t buy much. Allison had been attacked by a sea urchin the day before and we decided it was time for her to go to a doctor. Unfortunately, they were too busy, but we do have a nurse and EMT on board our trip and they were able to get some but not all of the needles out. After Split, we headed to Zadar and made camp for the night.

Day 66: Friday, July 28: Zadar to Budapest, Hungarz

This was our longest driving day of the tour. I don't have much to mention except I tied for the highest trivia score of the tour. We got into Budapest late and ended up having an early dinner.

Day 67: Saturday, July 29: Budapest

Budapest is an amazing city. We started in the area of the Old Buda, where the Fishermans Bastion is located and the Royal Palace. We then headed down to the main park in the Pest area of down and wandered down to the Hungarian Baths. Not anything like the Turkish baths, we could move from pool to pool, switching from 100 deg water to 55 deg water, plus saunas and steam rooms. VERY Relaxing. In the afternoon, we past by a pedestrian fair that was going on, including Hungarian music. We got some cheap beers and then as we were headed to the Parlament buiding to get some great shots, it started to rain. We hid under some awning s and then decided to high tail it for the nearest building, we ended up in a casino, where they took all our information and then I ended up losing 5000 Hungarian Forints (about $20) in Roulette and Blackjack. The rain let up and we headed to a traditional Hungarian restuarant where I had an amazing Beef Goulash. Although we didn't see as much of the city as we would have liked due to the rain, I had a great time and will have to make it to Budapest again.

Day 68: Sunday, July 30: Budapest to Vienna

Happy Birthday to me.. Happz Birthday to me.. Wooo hoo,.. I can't complain about the birthdays I've had over the past few years and this was no exception. Everyone on tour greeted me this morning with a happy birthday. We headed across the border and onto Vienna. After dinner we headed into town for some drinks. Before drinks, Markus and I checked into Le Meridian Wien. A beautiful hotel in the heart of Vienna. We even got upgraded to a Jr. Suite and had a bottle of Champagne delivered when the saw it was my birthday (Markus' German helped out too).. We headed out to an Irish Pub to meet with some of the group. One of the nicest birthdays I've had. The people on my tour are incredible, and well, I'm still probably drunk as I type this, but I coudln't say no to the free internet in the hotel.

Our room is amazing, as a jr suite, we got a huge bed, a dining area, a shower with 3 nossles and a bathtub. Plus, a second toilet, just in case. When they sent up the bottle of champain, I was alreadz ha little tipsy, so I'm sure this email is a litte amusing to you all.

After a great nights sleep tongiht, we are headed into town, including a tour of a schnapps museum.. Until Next time.. I hope your days are great and that you too have a story to tell for your birthday..

~Dave

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb