I Can't think of a Good Name for this Entry...


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
September 10th 2006
Published: November 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Vienna and proceeded to fight our way through thousands of Saturday afternoon shoppers with our huge backpacks - fun! We got to tourist office alive and they directed us to our campground that we found without too much trouble. We set up our tent and headed off to find a grocery store only to find they were all closed already (it was after five on a Saturday) but we managed to wrangle up a feast from surprisingly well-stocked Shell gas station.

The next day we did a self-guided walking tour that took us past the major sights with a few unexpected surprises such as the United Nations bears. These life sized bear statues were each painted to represent a UN country although Canada’s was nowhere to be found. We discovered that ours was in Berlin being auctioned and the Canadian consulate had not bothered to replace! We also ended up in the middle of an agricultural fair where we were given free Pez to entice us to vote for a candidate in an upcoming election.

The next day we tried to go to the modern art museum only to find out that it was closed. We then headed to the Anker Clock. This is a large clock with twelve rotating 2 meter high figures. One figure appears each hour but at noon all twelve appear. We stood around with about fifty other tourists for the grand moment to arrive and finally at twelve the figures began to move. I found the next few minutes to be some of the longest of my life. It was so boring watching these figures move at a painfully slow pace out one side of the clock and back in the other. Kyle thought it was neat.

In the afternoon we went to the Art House Vienna - a really cool museum based on the works and philosophy of an artist -- Hundertwasser. The building was renovated with very organic with no straight lines, and window boxes for trees to grow in. It was really cool to experience but a little hard to explain.

The next day we were off to Innsbruck.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

SecessionSecession
Secession

An Art Nouveau gallery built in about 1897


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb