Vienna


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
March 20th 1995
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 48.2092, 16.3728

The Honeymoon ... Had a lovely time in Vienna, stayed in our friend CM's place & met his future (Swiss) wife but then he had to go away for work so we had his apt. to ourselves -it was good but it geared towards older people and the bloody shops close really early on a Saturday or only open the 1st Saturday of the month or something so that needs to be taken into acocunt when you planning any itinerary there. Coffee house culture is good there, the trams are ace & no. 1 & 2 get all the sights in, and U-bahns are easy, Habsburgs' summer residence Schönbrunn is fab (I think this is generally thought to be the better residence & it is good). And Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Strauss are all buried in Zentralfriedhof cemetery (but you know us - freaks about cemeteries). And St. Stephens Catholic gothic cathedral is really impressive - went up to the roof for great view - only if you actually want to pray the other tourists have no respect but there's a prayer room if you actually want to assert your catholicness! Also we went to our 1st opera there Don Giovanni & that was great too. And of course there's all the Mozart stuff & the 'The Third man' connection & german beer halls... Want to lovely place & woods outside the city with our friend Suzi (Austrian girl I had met in college) but am going to have to find the 1995 diary to fill that in ...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb