Castles


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Upper Austria
July 10th 2015
Saved: January 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

After lunching at 'Schlogen Loop' and watching the massive cruise boats slide around the 180 degree bend (Schlogen Loop), we rode on 5km to Gastof St Nicholas for the night. We had only just sat down for a beer on the verandah, when who should arrive, but the dragonboat kids in their three boats. They unpacked their tents, tables, food, cooking and sleeping gear - the lot, and set up camp in military style precission. Hardly a word said and they worked like clockwork (true Austrian style precision). In no time at all (before I had finished my beer) camp was set, and food on the go for maybe 50 teens. All the activity was exhausting so we decided to take a leisurely stroll to the peak behind us for a view over the famous 'loop'.
It was a stunning walk with breataking views, down and over the valley.

The next morning we started for Linz on 'we are told' the most beautiful section of the Donau, and it didnt disappoint. Chocolate box pictures at every turn !

Well blow me socks off, we arrive in Linz, to guess what - another medieval festival, but this was the biggest we had seen yet. We arrive to hear a sword fight in progress, and by the commentary would assume the victor to be the Prince. Later in the piece, we see live on horseback jousting, where the Victor actually knocks his opponent from his horse (or maybe he just fell off dramatically after being hit in the chest with the lance ?). As usual, stalls everywhere, jugglers, leather merchants, staff & jewellery stalls, wine, beer and some unknown beverages - it was a riot.

The following day we took a long, steep, hot ride to Mauthausen Concentration Camp, locked our bikes up with the other cycling devotees & hoped for the best they would be safe. The next couple of hours were decidedly dark & we emerged both rather sombre and emersed in our own thoughts as we rode on quietly to the longest wooden bridge in europe, before we arrived in Walsee to our very bright yellow Gastof Grunling.

On exploring the town, there is yet another Hapsburg Schloss (castle) here, not open unfortunately, and now in private hands. Hapsburgs are everywhere, in their day must have been an almighty family.

The following morning we ride on to a Celtic Village that was unearthed and rebuilt very well depicting the life and times of the celts of the period. We find a bench riverside and pull up to have our lunch of roll with sliced meat that we 'pocketed' from breakfast, to watch the masterfull skippers negotiate their incredibly long barges of goods through this treacherous narrow section of the Danube, and rather well I might add.
That afternoon again locked our bikes (with all our gear on) outside the Fahrad Museum (bicycle) with a group of lycra clad enthusiasts. It was fantastic, Penny farthings (my Grandad was a champion), original wooden bikes, tricycles,the lot - what a treat.

Our quaint little village for the night was Melk and we arrived just inthe nick of time before the heavens opened, so since we had checked in, settled into a lively Australian Jacobs Creek Red and dinner at a restuarant in the mall under cover, as it pelted down around us. A lovely way to end our day.

By the next morning the rain had really set in, which left us in a bit of a quandary. On route to Tulln we could make a 5km diversion up an incredibly steep (20%) hill to Schloss Aggstein, or just peddal on, on the flat and leave it ?
Lets say at this point, we have seen heaps of castles, and most turn out quite similar really, so do we need to see another (5km up a steep hill, in the rain).
After a bit of deliberation - thats right you guessed it, why not !
Well what a treat , best yet !
Beautifully restored, authentic, not many people and awesome setting. A treat, and then the weather cleared !

Tulln was pretty, if not a bit bland, but they had a flower and garden show on so we moseyed around to pass the time, and likewise the following days ride into Vienna a bit bland, other than to say we clocked over 3000km.
So celebrated in the only true Austrian way we knew. Two large Austrian Gosser beers, a bratwurst and burenwurst with saukraut and mustard before we wobbled into Vienna.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

17th August 2015

Hello from Perth 17 Aug 2015
Hi folk, Great to read yr blog. Didn't like the vibes of this area because of the "camps". However saying all this I went to a very small town near Loosedorp in 2012. Cheryl did more of the "Hapsburg Castle Tours" thing with the river cruise mob in Vienna and I just headed out on the train. There is factory where they make world class brass instruments and bought my Schargerl trumpet there. "Corvacado" here in Perth - I think that is Spanish for "quiet nights and quiet stars". Sydney kids and grandies all back home safe. Enjoyed Derby win by WCE yesterday afternoon. Keep the wheels turning and be well. Les n Cheryl
17th August 2015

Jealous and inspired
Wow photo's look amazing, travel blog excellent , well done , your fitness levels must have increased despite the liquid lunches , truely inspiring so much so that RG has decided to do a Kev, (not cycling) but taking a break from the world of textiles so have resigned effective 30th Sept and plan to do some travelling , house renovating , surfing trips etc and think about part time work in the new Year (Maybe). I just got back from a weeks fishing at Cape York with a few guys ,very enjoyable Cheers Rob
30th August 2015

Great to follow your progress
What a lot of brat experiences you are having , thanks for keeping us in the loop Cheers D & B

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb