Day 6, Gosau


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Upper Austria » Gosau
August 5th 2010
Published: August 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Germany and Around


Dave's Updates :

Been an awesome and eventful few days. Left Trier a few days ago, stopped at Baden-Baden for a few hours and then went on to Lake Constance. Spent a day there and then drove through about half of Austria to get to Gosau. We're winding down our stay here and this time tomorrow will be at Coburg - about 500 km north.

Baden-Baden. Had a blast there. Driving very narrow streets and finding parking was a little nerve wracking. Walked around the town center and had coffee and lunch. Then went on to one of my favorite things on the planet - sauna, steam room, and the like. Baden-Baden is known for it's Roman baths. I chucked my modesty and pride and spent an hour in the co-ed nudie section. Tried not to gawk at the hotties and met with moderate success. Went back in suits-required section and splashed around the pool there for a wile. Just as it's time to leave, I notice the big tear in my suit that left my left butt cheek exposed. Oh well.

Lake Constance. Got there in the early evening and left at noon the next day. In between we walked around the old town, gawked at the lake, and I had what had to be a half gallon of dark German beer at a beer-garden.

Drive Through Austria. Went from Lake Constance into Switzerland and then drove through about half of Austria to get to Gosau. Didn't see much in Switzerland. Driving through Austria was pretty cool. It was very Alp-y. We must've spent 50km in one tunnel or another including one 20km+ one I thought would never end. Stopped at a rest stop that could've been a three star resort. Those Austrian's definitely pee in style. We were on an Autobhan (with a speed limit though - sort of) so its wasn't one of those crazy tertiary roads that wind up a mountain. Those came later. Nothing too crazy though.

One thing that really arched a brow is that the cows here all graze on fields that have to be at at least a forty degree incline. Don't know how they don't go tumbling down the mountain.

Gosau. This is where we splurged a bit and got a four star hotel for two nights.This place rocks. The food's some of the best I've ever had. Great room. Sauna and steam room. We had dinner last night on a terrace overlooking a small Austrian Village and had a great view of the alps. Today we went to Lake Gosau and spent an hour and a half walking around it. Amazing views. Then we took a cable car up about another 1300 meters and spend another hour gawking at the view. Saw my first glacier. Then we went to Hallstatt, walked around town, gawked at the lake and took off. It was pretty touristy there and it started to rain. Went back to the hotel and spent a couple of hours in the sauna and steam room and had another great dinner.

One thing that was kinda freaky was that the median age on the trip around Lake Gosau was about 65 years. There were quite a few that looked to be in their 70's and 80's doing the two mile walk and some did the much longer ones. These Austrian geriatrics really kick some ass.

Tomorrow we're off to Coberg which is about 500 km north. Along the way we're going to stop at a border museum of some sort, drive along the Danube for a while, and stop at a town called Regensburg. Should be a hoot.

And today is our 15th wedding anniversary. You're alright Loges. 😉

Cheers,

Dave



Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb