Marchfelddammit


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Lower Austria
July 5th 2010
Published: July 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 1


Crossing the DonauCrossing the DonauCrossing the Donau

near Carnuntum
Great expectations and a long ride are on today's programme: leaving from Vienna, we want to make it all the way to Stará Turá in Eastern Slowakia.
Of course, it takes ages to get everything ready: I still need some supplies (and my bike which had a broken spoke repaired!) from the bike shop which doesn't open until 10am - neither does the outdoor store where I still need to get some fuel for the Trangia. While Richard goes out to buy some food stuffs, I go on my treck of the various shops to get everything we need.
Finally, around 12:30pm, we're all packed up and ready to go. Confidently, we start out along the Donaukanal from Vienna centre towards Bratislava. When we get to Neu Albern, signposting of the route stops, and we of course follow the wrong route, taking us to Hafen Albern - a dead end. Arriving at a restaurant, we're told to cycle all the way back to Neu Albern, then cross the bridge to the other side. Once we crossed the Donau to the other side via the Donauinsel, we end up in the FKK (naked bathing) zone, where we feel slightly out of place with all this fabric on us. The route takes us back up the Donau quite a way before joining the cycle route along the Donau.
Before continuning, we have some lunch at a Pizzeria, then start on our "real tour".
The next 4 hours are nothing much to talk about - we're cycling along a dead straight road on top of the Marchfelddamm which offers little in the way of scenery and even less in the way of turns or even shade. By the time we arrive at the crossing of the Donau near Carnuntum, it's already 6pm, and we decide to just find the campsite in Petronnell - which, after a short search around town, we manage to track down.
Chased by hords of mosquitoes, we set up the tent and have some dinner consisting of couscous mixed with some instant soup - a cycle tour stable. After dinner and a shower, we decide to go for a beer at the campsite inn - and get eaten up by the mosquitoes even worse.
Definitely time to call it a day and hit the sheets!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb