Melk and the Abbey


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Lower Austria » Melk
September 10th 2017
Published: September 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today we will visit Melk Abbey (I cannot believe I've never heard of this UNESCO sight until this trip) and then cruise down the Wauchu Valley (we're told it's the most picturesque scenery in the world) at the other end of the Valley is the town of Durnstein where we will anchor and visit as well.

Melk Abbey:

The Melk Abbey. Is a Benedictine Abbey built in the Baroque style high above the town of Melk in lower Austria which is built on a high outcropping of rocks overlooking the Danube. It was founded in 1089 When Leopoldo II gave one of his castles to Benedictine monks from Lambach Abbey which was a monastic school. The Abbey we toured today was built in 1736. Beautiful frescos abound all around the Abbey.

Our tour guide was Stephanie and she was so knowledgeable about the history and each room. To me the most impressive was the Library. We were only allowed to view two of the libraries. But over the thousand plus years this has been in existence many hand written manuscripts have been produced and they are all still kept here. Unfortunately we were not allowed to photograph the inside of the Abbey but I'm very glad we took the time to come see it.

Hermione one was once again in our group and challenged Stephanie who was the picture of grace in all her answers. The Abbey continues to be home for 15 permanent monks and 15 others who also travel. It is also a school for a thousand children ages 10-19. The pictures here are only of the outside of the Abbey and the town of Melk......stunning views here folks. The Abbey is so big it was impossible to get a photo of it in its entirety.. So for this venture I hope you enjoy more pictures and less text.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Composite of the different architectures around the AbbegComposite of the different architectures around the Abbeg
Composite of the different architectures around the Abbeg

The two towers were part of the former building already in existence prior to the Abbey being built


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb