Do we need to take cover?


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Carinthia » Millstatt
October 20th 2006
Published: November 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

MilstatterseeMilstatterseeMilstattersee

View from the hotel room.
Our friendly Salzburg tour guide suggested we stop for the night in Milstatt - a small resort town on Milstattersee, a beautiful alpine lake. It was definitely slow season here as there were only a handful of accommodations and restaurants open. We can imagine it is a booming place in summertime though!

It was a treat to discover the town is home to the Stiftskirche, a Romanesque Benedictine Abbey founded in 1070. We found the church empty the next morning, except for an older lady who was tending to the flowers on the altar. As we sat contemplating the age of this place, an air-raid siren went off. We must have looked somewhat perplexed and unsure of what to do, so the lady attempted to explain to us the meaning of the siren in German. We think the gist of it was "don't worry, everything is fine" since she just went about her business.

On another note - we felt a little silly wondering what language was spoken in Austria. Turns out it's German with a really smooth accent, as opposed to the harsh Swiss-German accent, or the middle of the road High German. Also, for those wondering, we didn't have time to visit Thal, Arnold Schwarzenegger's hometown.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

VaultingVaulting
Vaulting

Each intersection of the vaulting in the ceiling had a coat of arms displayed. This is the only place we've seen this type of decoration.


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.1083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb