Ordino......and food


Advertisement
Andorra's flag
Europe » Andorra
September 20th 2009
Published: September 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Here's just a quick update from today!

Last night we decided it had been far too long since we had feasted, so while on a shopping excursion a quick pop into the Casa de Formatge was a no-brainer. I settled on a nice hunk of Morbier, Kelsey on a Basque Bleu, and Alex on Gouda “Light” (which tasted anything but light). I later picked up a half-wheel of Roblechon at Pyreneés. Meanwhile the Brits were taking care of the alcohol and selected a number of reds, plus this awful-looking liqueur that is, according to the bottle, “Tipic d’Andorra”. We had joked about trying it for some time and it was finally the time. Throw in a few tortillas (I remind you these are omelets, not flat corn or flour breads), some gin, port, jamón serrano, skewers of pickles, onions, and peppers, chocolate biscuits, and kinder hippos and there you have our evening. Oh our modest lives…

After a slothful Sunday morning, news of the “Mostra Gastronòmica” in the Parish of Ordino energized us to get the day going. It was my first time in the Parish and I must say it is really a beautiful place - much more rustic and old-feeling than the sometimes gaudy Andorra La Vella. The typical stone architecture was everywhere, and per usual we were surrounded by lush mountain peaks. After stopping at the tourist office we found out where the showing was, but after arriving we realized it was much more than just a series of booths or vendors with delicious treats. Due to the 30-ish Euro entrance fee and our own time restraints, we unfortunately had to pass up this culinary opportunity. Nonetheless we were confident we could find a cozy restaurant somewhere with an under 10€ several-course menu.

Success! A mere 5 minutes away we settled upon 4 courses for 9.50€. Beginning with a nice and garlicy gaspatxo, I then moved onto a lovely little dish of hard-boiled eggs baked with ham, cheese, and smothered in béchamel sauce. For the main course I had some braised beef (which was a bit dry but the sauce was delicious) with potatoes and garlic, then for dessert a nice tarte tatin with apricot. Washed down with a Heineken it was a glorious meal for so few Euros.

Back to the Aparthotel we chilled a bit, stole internet at the mall, did our
Our SpreadOur SpreadOur Spread

just some delicious things...
grocery shopping, and returned for lesson-planning and other fun things of that sort. Tomorrow I have my first round of private English lessons so I can fund my naughty gastronomic habits. Cheers!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



20th September 2009

the tessa.
ina would approve the tarte tatin.
20th September 2009

my next address
I want to live at the casa de formatge, si us plau.
21st September 2009

“Tipic d’Andorra”
So how was the awful looking “Tipic d’Andorra”?
22nd September 2009

Gosh... this looks amazing. I'm so unbelievely jealous. Kinder hippos=delicious.

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 39; dbt: 0.1006s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb