Tirana


Advertisement
Albania's flag
Europe » Albania » West » Tirana
July 4th 2023
Published: July 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

4th July
Spent the day in various forms of transport to get back to Tirana. First a minivan we had booked when we arrived to Shkroder, a quick coffee then a big bus to the city bus terminal and finally a taxi to the hotel. Took most of the day.

Had a good meal at Oda restaurant round the corner from the hotelĀ  very popular, traditional Turkish.

Staying at Lot hotel in the city centre.

5th July
Visited the National Historic Museum. Some interesting parts, filled a couple of hours. The early parts have English information but after the middle ages it's sporradic. Looked up afterwards about Alexander the Great, didn't realise there were two and both Albanian! They claim the birthplace of the original one and their national hero from the 1500s, who fought off the Ottoman invadion, carries that nickname, Skanderbeau in Albanian.

Had a walk around the castle in the evening, just some walls now and an area full of restaurants. Ate at a truffle restaurant, neither of us had them before.

6th July
Last day in the city ( one too many), visited Bunk'Art 2 museum. It's an exhibition of police power and oppression during the difficult years post war to the 1990s. There was a lot of information, in English, on big displays throughout the tunnels of the bunker underneath the ministry of the interior. A lot to process. A reminder of how terrible humans can be to each other and can't help thinking about what's still going on around the world.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb