Conjuring Caribbean charm


Advertisement
Published: August 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post



Silver waves washed the sandy shore in the pinkish hue of evening light. The sun sailed red into the ocean where the silhouettes of small fishing craft swayed in the gentle breeze. Above, coconut palms arched over the beach to form a natural vaulted roof. The bride and groom stood bare foot on the warm sand as the pastor read from the Songs of Solomon. The perfect setting for a romantic wedding.

When Henry and Louise decided to marry in Tobago it was their favourite holiday destination and held many happy memories. Arranging a wedding 5000 miles away from home though can be a daunting prospect. So it is not surprising that couples hoping to marry in the Caribbean tend to opt for the ‘all in package’ offered by hotels, often in expensive tourist resorts.

By using the internet Henry and Louise were able to arrange a wedding in a small unspoiled fishing village, where there were no hotels. The wedding planner advised them on the legalities of marrying in Tobago; found them a pastor to conduct the ceremony and a photographer, who happened to be the pastor’s wife. The guests ranging in age from one to seventy five and traveling from thousands of miles away, including Canada and Italy, stayed in local accommodation .Here they were able to sample the local Caribbean way of life.

After a simple ceremony with readings from Gilbran, the twenty six guests from around the world joined the local villagers in toasting the bride and groom with champagne bought by the guests from their duty free allowance whilst photos were taken in the lush tropical gardens surrounding their rented beach cottage.

The wedding party strolled the 50 meters to Phoebe’s restaurant. A three story colonial building, which overlooked the sea, it was open on all sides to the warm Caribbean breeze. Here guests from near and far enjoyed a simple meal of local food including chicken, fresh fish from the morning’s catch, rice, salads, tropical fruits and ice cream.

Then it was time for dancing. Shoes were discarded as Reggae rhythms boomed from the sound system compelling dancers to take to the floor and follow the locals who showed them ‘how it is done’ Tobagoan style.

Thanks to the internet a truly memorable Caribbean wedding which ended with a dip in the sea by moonlight.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb