Trinidad ho!


Advertisement
Published: March 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Who knew a flight attendant could be funny? Our Irish Westjet host punctuated our cross-oceanic fitful snoozing with cracks like “And if your lifevest fails, WestJet will let you keep it as a complimentary gift.” He was fun and helpful, trying to figure out which islands we were flying over through the dark.

Harry met us at the airport at dawn with a sign with our name at it and we drove to the Hyatt and checked in right away to a room that looks like it is floating on the Caribbean Sea. We hung out in the infinity pool, wondering if the distant coastline was Venezuela.

A long walk through Port of Spain to Queen Savannah Park where we drank iced coconut water after Tony, a coconut street vendor lopped the top off (of the coconuts not us…). Will found a flock of Southern Lapwings at the park.

Somehow we ended up upgraded to VIP status and have daylong access to all sorts of treats and beverages – this eve before dinner we snacked on spiced shrimp, potstickers and other treats. Dinner included fish tacos, mahimahi burgers, all outside watching flickering torches and swaying palms in the night.

Then we called Harry and asked if he’d drive us up into the rainforest mountains tomorrow to begin our first Trinidad adventure.

Oh, I forgot, a cool Cooper’s Hawk bid us adieu from Marika and Will’s Grandmama’s front yard before we left…

Marika and Kim are sleeping, Will is reading a new book, but I think it is time for us all to hit they hay. We are exscited to be here, and know how lucky we are.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



11th March 2013

Looks like you are having a wonderful time. Enjoy it and the rain forest.
11th March 2013
Tony the Coconut vendor

have a great adventure!
I tasted coconut for the first time when I was Marika's age on the beach in Italy - I will never forget it and every time I have it I feel like that little girl in Cattolica. LOL
11th March 2013
Tony the Coconut vendor

Nice coconuts
That's it. Just "nice coconuts;)"
11th March 2013
Infinity pool ahead, Caribbean behind

Questions
What is an infinity pool? And what are you doing for Marika's b-day??
11th March 2013

Always a treat to follow my favorite travelling family! Looks like a great time. I used to speak with folks from Trinidad all the time when I worked at the airline, wonderful funny friendly people. I am sure you guys will be a hit with the locals. Much love.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb