Sainte Martin, Marigot Bay


Advertisement
Published: September 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Simpson Bay bridgeSimpson Bay bridgeSimpson Bay bridge

Opens twice a day. at this writing at 16 30 hours.
We did an overnight from Virgin Gorda along with Sea Schell, Island time, Perseverance, 2 other boats joined in.
Perseverance and us went directly to Marigot Bay, the others went to Simpson Bay.
We arrived to early, we kept trying to slow boat down to no avail, did a few 180s between Marigot and the island of Anguila. Which by the way is flat, not like all the others, with hills and mountains.
We anchored close to the wall downtown, in front of the green painted restaurant with the palm trees protruding through the roof. We put the dinghy in the water, headed for dinghy dock, it was low tide, was quite a climb up the slats, no ladder.
Customs and immigration was a breeze, cost $7 US. We went back to the boat, put our paper work away, hit an ATM, found us a hole in the wall to have lunch, was excellent for 10 euros each. French cooking is so delicious. Walking back towards the boat, we saw a local lady with a bag full of baguettes. Pete was drooling. Maribel asked the lady where she bought them. She told there were 2 bakeries within walking distance, but she liked the one across from the previously mentioned restaurant. So off we were to the bakery, good thing we had eaten first. Pete bought baquettes and some pastry. This became our daily routine.
We went into Simpson Bay by dinghy. Checked all the spots we had previously visited while on a cruise. Then went into the dutch side to visit Sea Schell.
There is a french grocery store as you head into Simpson Bay, go left, then take 1 st channel to the left again. All the way back is a rough dinghy dock for supermarket use only. Bring your computer here, they have wifi somewhere, good signal here.
The grocery store has frozen escargot 48 of them in a bag for $11.50 Euro. when we were here, the Euro was 1.32 to 1 US dollar. So we lost quite a bit. The credit card showed foreign fees, this is where it started. Unfortunately we did not know right away. The wine selection in this store was awesome. Box wine ran around 15 euros.
After spending 3 or 4 days here, we went East and South on the coast. We found several anchorages well protected, easily accessible, great food.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Paper MoonPaper Moon
Paper Moon

With Fort in background
downtown downtown
downtown

From the topshot
VendedoresVendedores
Vendedores

Shirts, dresses, etc
AnselAnsel
Ansel

Down the coast anchorage
Chess boardChess board
Chess board

Human chess board


Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb