Canouan The Grenadines


Advertisement

High up on the Golf CourseHigh up on the Golf CourseHigh up on the Golf Course

We took golf carts up steep hills to several dramatic outlooks like this one. The course was declared challenging. The views were declared breathtaking.
Canouan is one of the smaller islands of The Grenadines. We knew being halfway between the Tropic of Cancer and the Equator just off the coast of Venezuela would be very warm; but it was so comfortable during our brief stay with an almost constant off-shore breeze. The destination was picked by our host as a hop from Nevis for his birthday; he was especially lured by the golf course which didn't disappoint - challenging and beauful! Lucky us, you say! Lucky us, we repeat!



The resort is very sprawley, but each couple got a golf cart to roam from villas to the beach, to the restaurants (open on a revolving basis), pro shop, spa, boutique, etc. The "girls" even hailed a rubber raft with an outboard motor to get us from one beach to another.



The beach at Point De Jour was wonderful. The water was warm and very bouyant. Colorful fish swam under us. A beach bar and open air restaurant satisfied with tropical drinks, local beer and fun little bene boxes for lunch. Lots of toys were available including a small catamaran, snorkeling accessories, kayaks and more. How wonderful when the only decisions are sun or shade, 15 or 30 spf, tuna or veggie, beer or mai tai!



The main "pool" left over from Canouan's "Raffles" days, exists only in the brochure; but not to worry as the villas have swimming pools. Once, a Donald Trump holding, the Canouan Resort is under new ownership with signs of expansion.

Our driver from the airport to the resort gave a nice commentary about the island. He proudly pointed out the home of Canouan native, Adonal Foyle, a famed NBA retiree. Sweet little Charlestown looks over Friendship Bay, has five church denominations, has no crime and is close to Canouan's sister resort, Tamarind, where we were told there would be a "happy hour" that evening. The people of Canouan are very attractive. Poverty which is often evident in the Carribean wasn't apparent.

So, we left this little piece of paradise - some call it a diamond in the rough - and headed back to Nevis. Au revoir Canouan!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Beach to Beach TransportationBeach to Beach Transportation
Beach to Beach Transportation

This was a fun way to travel around the sprawling resort!
The Huts in the Background are SpasThe Huts in the Background are Spas
The Huts in the Background are Spas

We didn't get to try this feature, but the floors of these treatment huts are said to be of glass so patrons can look into the ocean.
Dining Porch at GuiletteDining Porch at Guilette
Dining Porch at Guilette

We had a great lunch here, high atop Guilette Bay. So nice to "live" in the out of doors!
The Gazebo at the VillaThe Gazebo at the Villa
The Gazebo at the Villa

This was our spot for cocktails and morning coffee - sat eight of us so comfortably!
Our Room at the villa Canouan ResortOur Room at the villa Canouan Resort
Our Room at the villa Canouan Resort

Our room is featured in the brochure and on the web site for the resort. It was so wonderful - full luxe bath - our own balcony - sleek linens - great view!
VillaVilla
Villa

This hardly does justice to how well appointed the villa was. It was open to the breezes and a gorgeous view of the sea below.
Land TortoiseLand Tortoise
Land Tortoise

Canouan has no crime, 5 churches, land tortoises and giant iquanas - we didn't get to see any iquanas, but tortoises lumbered along at a leisurely pace. This one was near a hole on the champion golf course!


13th January 2012

Camping?
How did you get your motorhome to the islands? : ) We are traveling by motorhome for the next few months and heading to Pine Island in February.
13th January 2012

Hope to see you in Pine Island!
Hi Casey - we are leaving for Pine Island on Feb. 7 - the RV is in storage at the PI KOA - we will be there a week or so before heading to Sarasota - REALLY hope to run into you --- so, no sailboat to wait for the tide to change in the canal this time? That was a fun night!
18th January 2012

St. Vincent Scores on NY Times Travel List
The pristine island of St. Vincent is #17 on the New York Times list of 45 places to travel to in 2012.
22nd January 2012

You do have a great life.
We love reading each edition. Great photos!
23rd January 2012

Thanks
Thank you so much --- means alot coming from you two! Love your account of your adventures also!
8th October 2012

Canouan Villas
Hi there, Fantastic to see another visitors reviews on this beautiful little island! Just a quick question, the photos in your collection show a fantastic villa and we just wondered whether it was one of the villas we rent in Canouan? It looks very similar to Canoten (http://www.handpickedvillas.net/canoten/view-details) and would be nice to know if these great reviews match one of our properties! All the best and keep up the good work! Handpicked Villas

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb