B5 Travel Blog #4


Advertisement
Published: November 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

What types of arts and crafts are in Puerto Rico? How does this influence the people there?

San Juan is the more artistic arts and crafts part of Puerto Rico holding many museums such as: University of Puerto Rico, Museo de Arte de Ponce, and Capilla del Cristo. In San Juan many of the Puerto Ricans there are influenced to make art and crafts either from traditions or just for the artistic side of someone. Many Puerto Rican artists follow in the footsteps of the great Puerto Rican artist José Campeche. Majority of José's paintings are that of religious paintings that are found in churches. Most of all arts and crafts created in Puerto Rico mostly consist of caretas-papier-maché. Theses are popular fanged and horned masks are created for festivals and carnivals so adults and children can scare each other for the rest of the night! These masks were said to have originated from all the way back to medieval Spain and came over to Puerto Rico; the purpose for the masks were to scare people back into church due to the mask's resemblance of a demon look.

The most important piece of art that stands out to me and my fellow Puerto Ricans are caretas-papier-maché! These brightly colored horns covered in multiple pastels are what I and many other Puerto Ricans grow up with. These masks were originally used as a meaning for scaring others back into church;however, the new redefined masks now represents resistance against colonialism and imperialism. These masks are an ancient Puerto Rican tradition dating back to the 17th century when slaves were able to live lives in Puerto Rico. Without these asks Puerto Rico growing up wouldn't have something to wear against their oppressors and to celebrate with. Most of all the children wouldn't have the implements to scare their elders 😉 Overall as many museums and crafts there are in Puerto Rico the caretas-papier-mâché takes the gold always.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb