Take me down to Panama City, where the grass is green and the booze cruise was shitty!


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

In the early hours of the morning, June 26, we reluctantly climbed out of bed. After a short trip to Quito Airport, we checked in our baggage, grabbed some breakfast, and at 07:12, with only our backpacks and a one-way ticket to Panama City, we boarded the plane and realised, our South America trip was officially over.

We were both sad to be leaving the continent that has left us with so many memories and stories, but were eager to continue our journey through the America's. There is so much more in the world we still need to see. Before we get to that, we have a few more stories from Ecuador.

Just a note, because of the language difficulties, Ryan is now affectionately known to all South, Central and North Americans, as "Ron".

It took a while to escape Baños because the nearby volcano had erupted and blocked all direct roads to Quito. We decided to stay for an extra night, hoping the road would be cleared, but had no luck the next morning. Instead, we had to catch a 10 hour bus via Tena, when Quito is only 4 hours away.

We settled into a quiet hotel in the New Town of the countries capital. After researching the dangers in Columbia, we both decided it would be wise to skip it, and organised a flight to Panama City. But we couldn't leave Ecuador without having a little bit of fun up at the equator.

We were blessed with beautiful weather one Sunday, and made arrangements to visit La Mitad del Mundo, which translates to the Middle of the World. It was entertaining jumping from North to South, and we climbed the impressive monument. After spending the good part of a day here, we accidently stumbled upon a place called Museo Solar Inti Ñan, whilst exploring the town. Inside we went.

It turned out to not only be a museum, but more importantly, home of the real equator line. La Mitad del Mundo was originally built in 1939, but was moved several times before reaching it's current location somewhere between 1979 and 1982. However, 10 years ago, the exact coordinates of the equator were measured with military G.P.S equipment, and the Museum was built. We were less then impressed when we found out we had been mislead. Most people probably visit the Middle of the World, not knowing that it's really 500 metres up the road.

To prove it's authenticity, the museum has set up an excellent tour, which included activities that can only be performed at the border. They poured water into a sink on the equator, and then north and south of the equator, and each demonstration lead to different results. The two of us received certificates for balancing an egg on the head of a nail. But the most fascinating, was watching the slender female tour guide easily overpower Ryan when he had one foot on each side of the equator.

Our Business Class flight to Panama, which we didn't know we had until we arrived at the airport, was very exciting. We were treated to great food, cosy chairs, but felt like imposters the entire trip.

We touched down in Panama City and our first impressions were, "Damn it's hot!". That would also be our last impression of Panama City. It was really difficult to adjust to the humidity, so we limited our activities per day to 1 or 2. Somedays, our activities included having a cold shower and/or going next door for ice cream. We did manage to take in some worth while sites. We retired to our hotel that night, with the pleasant glow of the red light in our window. Turns out they rent out rooms by the hour.

The Panama Canal was on the top of our list, and we coupled that with a trip to the Summit Botanical Garden & Zoo, which was home to many monkeys, tapirs, birds and endagered native species, like the Harpy Eagle. It was great to see the Canal, but the price you pay for what you get, probably wasn't worth it. They have turned it into a massive spectacle, and even have commentators relaying the ships every move. "Okay kids. Get ready! We are about to open the gates." We took a few photo's and returned home after a long day.

We visited the Causeway, which connects to a few islands off the coast, but just seems to be an expensive area for tourists to shop and stay and where taxi drivers can charge you twice what they originally quoted. It did offer impressive views of the city and a pretty walk way. Parque National Metropolitano was an effort, but once at the top, we were treated to the best views of Panama City and the Panama Canal.

June 30, Ryan's Birthday. We were both looking forward to having a night on the town, and it had been recommended by Lonely Planet that a tour on an old school bus, which had been converted into a bar, was the way to go. We weren't able to get on the bus on the 30th, but because we were both looking forward to it so much, we booked it for 2 nights earlier. Ask any guy on his birthday if he'd like to spend it on a bus as the only male with a live band, filled with 16 females and free booze, and he'd be imagining the party of a lifetime. But it turned out to be 15 Uruguayan women who didn't speak english, and the average age? 60. Lia did win a booty shaking contest, and she also stole some of the free booze when we were leaving, but they were the highlights, and we went home bitterly disappointed.

So we decided on a different approach on the 30th and caught the ferry accross to Isla Toboga, 17km off the coast. It was a perfect day relaxing and drinking by the beach, and we attempted to walk to the other side of the island, but the dense forest moving with creepy crawlies that only got bigger as we progressed, had us back on the beach in our bathers in no time. Later that evening, on our way to dinner, and after drinking the grog Lia rightly stole from the bus tour, Lia pointed out a Hooters. Before you could say "STOP THE CAB", we were inside downing long island ice teas, nacho's and kebabs. We checked out a bar with some average live bands later in the night, but were home in bed by midnight. It was the perfect way to spend a birthday without friends and family.

After a day of recovery, we spent the next day on a bus on our way to David. Once we arrived, we were quickly persuaded by the cab driver to make a trip to Boquete. We stayed a night and left early the next morning, and were rewarded with one of the most beautiful, green and flowery, laid back towns with a refreshingly cool climate. Escaping to the mountains was just what we needed. The only issue is whether this town will remain as beautiful as it is. Many tourists, mostly from the States, are quickly taking over, and we fear that 10 years from now, Boquete will be turned into another overdeveloped and overpopulated city. We hope that it keeps its traquil setting for many years and tourists to come.

Back in the sweltering heat of David, we ventured north to the coast, and jumped on a speed boat to Bocas del Toro. The main reason for our visit was to hopefully catch a glimpse of some nesting marine turtles, but we were informed on arrival that they hadn't showed for several weeks. So we organised a snorkling tour for the next day instead.

It had apparently rained for a week non stop prior to our arrival, but that day, the clouds parted and the sun appeared as we explored the coral reefs and played with the dolphins in the wake of the boat. A visit to Red Frog island, given its name because of the abundance of red frogs that can be found all over the island, concluded the trip. It was our first dip into the Caribbean, and probably the biggest and roughest surf either of us have ever been in. Ryan needed to rescue Lia and drag her out, and she wasn't setting foot in that ocean again. Ryan remained, and came out with a throbbing face and swollen eyes from the constant thrashing he was subjected to in the chaotic waves. We met a friendly guy the next day, who's knee was dislocated in the swell. It was insane.

We stayed only 2 nights, and the return trip through the mangroves in a speed boat was the best way to conclude our travels in Panama. We caught a taxi to the border, and crossed the bridge into Costa Rica. With only 31 days remaining until we fly out of Mexico, we have to stay on the move as much as possible, so stay tuned for more adventures of Lia & Ron as we continue through wonderful Central America.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



10th July 2007

Happy Birthday Ron!!
The slender guy pushing you over on the equater line has nothing to do with gravity, you're just getting weak as you approach middle age! Have a tequila for me while in mexico, and remember to wash it down with a corona, cause I don't like the taste of tequila!
11th July 2007

Keep the tour tales coming
Hi you two....love reading it all....the way you write is entertaining and then you get the pictures to view as well. What a life time adventure you are having...keep safe but do continue to enjoy it.... Ps have you put the weight on Ryan??? or that is the photo weight...\ Lia still looking good.....so do you Ryan..Happy Birthday for 30th...Luv Ruth
11th July 2007

Happy Birthday dude
Happy bday mate, and what a way to spend it travelling the world. So good to see you two having the most unreal time being safe and happy. It bloody beats working i tell ya. Till next time keep having a blast

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb