Embera village visit.


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama
November 2nd 2018
Published: November 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today was my favorite day yet. We visited an indigenous tribe called Embera. As one of Panama’s seven indigenous tribes, this community embraces their traditional way of live and practices age-old customs as they were passed down through the generations.

After a 2-hour bus ride we arrived at the Chagres National Park. We were met at the Chagres river by members of the Tribe. Then we embarqued into dugout canoes. Now try to imagine this: 3 canoe-loads of senior passengers sitting in canoes on very low benches, their asses lower that their knees. Does that make you smile. Then try to imagine these same seniors after a 40-minute ride trying to get up off those low seats. I can hear some of you laughing.

Our visit started at their on-site school where we met the principle and their teacher. We brought school supplies as a gift. Santa Claus was very popular with the kids. It surprised us that they knew Santa. For those of you who are not family my cousin Mark is Santa. He has a white beard and white hair and he plays Santa at Bayshore shopping center and les Premenades de l’Outaouais. See the photos.

We then gathered with the Embera tribe for an introduction to their culture. They served us a lunch of fried tilapia and plantain chip (basically fish and chips) + fruit. It was very good. After lunch the community performed traditional dances. And we danced with them. They also sell crafts that they made. Then the weather started to get bad so we got back into the canoes for our ride back. Ten minutes out we got caught in a thunder storm.

It was a good day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

lunchlunch
lunch

Fried tilapia and plantain chips


3rd November 2018

Yes I was laughing. Your day sounds wonderful.

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb