The Lake Between Seas


Advertisement
Published: May 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Lake Between Seas (Gatun Lake & The Panama Canal) quickly became the torment of the Panama Canal Authority on Sailboat owners.

Actually, it is perfect...I did NOT actually end up paying the $800 penalty charge for having my motor stall for ten minutes and delaying other boaters, and I did not actually cause any other expensive sailing yachts tied to my side to spin in a 360 out of control accident into the channel walls in Lock #1 because of massive prop wash and heavy currents.

I am actually a professional captain, and of course, it went very smooth. I was able to smile in the face of anxiety, and even did not feel captive by the mandatory pilot who is supposedly in charge of the entire affair.

Of course, the main ubsurdity is that if you telephone the Panama Canal today you will receive no indication of any wait time, and will also be informed that no reservations are accepted.

So, you sail and repair, and motor and refill your diesel. and spend five months hurrying to get to the Canal to wait 26 days to transit. Mexico, El Salvador, Costa Rica, and Panama. 36 Port Captain Office visits, and 12 immigration fees, and eight international Zarpes. Hundreds of one dollar taxi rides and you may be ready to depart. But dont count on lots of extra surf days if you are sailing at 7 miles per hour south. The currents push you North at up to 5 miles per hour in certain locations.

But first, wait until you see my 18 ton sailboat standing not on shorings or on flat, level ground. But it is up in the trees, standing on a 6 inch wide stringer inside of a type of cage on 14 degree railroad tracks. Yes, this was the original way to haul vessels, but my boat really is defying gravity here. Painting the bottom under the Bridge of Americas in front of the Balboa Yacht Club. YES, this has been my dream for six years. A longterm navigation starting by going through the Canal.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0763s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb