Lake Gatun, Panama


Advertisement
Published: November 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

"Now we are on a boat to go fishing. We caught lots of fish. We caught big fish and little fish. It was really fun and then we ate them for lunch." Sofia Journal Entry October 26, 2012

This was a day that Vitor and I were really looking forward to. I had loved fishing for Cod in Iceland this summer, so it was time to fishing again. We started the day with pancakces that Vitor made and some yogurt and we were picked up by Dario.

He told us that he was a little worried as there were some protests that had been on the North part of the canal in Colon but they were going to spread to the city. As we got to the outer part of the city, a bunch of people closed down the road right before we were about to cross. We thought we were going to be stuck for hours, but a woman told us a way around and we exited the line and after zigzaging around we thought we were in the clear.
_________________________________________________________________________________________



_________________________________________________________________________________________
But it was only for a little while as just before the Miraflores
Me and Vitor FishingMe and Vitor FishingMe and Vitor Fishing

Lake Gatun, Panama
locks where we had been the day before, more people closed the road, once again, we were the first car not let through, but we were able to make a fast right turn into an area called Clayton. We were not allowed out. The good news was that this is where the US embassy was so since we were to be stuck there for 1 hour, Darios took us to see the embassy, but of course, we could only see from the outside. But then, things let up and we were free to pass.

We arrived in Gamboa and got on our fishing boat. The captain was very nice too. We went for about 30 minutes before we started looking for a place to fish. At first we were not to lucky. Vitor ended up catching trees more than fish ( Lake Gatun was an artificial lake flooded to make the canal). We caught some small fish, and I was happy. But there was much more to come.

We moved to another spot that the captain wanted to check out and the big ones started biting. We caught some really big peacock bass. It was so fun. Vitor caught 2-3 big ones and daddy and I each caught 1. We now had plenty for lunch. The captain wanted to stay longer but we needed to go and I wanted to check out some wildlife.
__________________________________________________________________________________________



__________________________________________________________________________________________
So we took off and passed some islands where we saw some holwer monkeys and capuchins. I was so tired I slept for part of the trip. Daddy took a class in Costa Rica studying monkeys 20 years ago which started his love for travel. Glad he did it. We also saw an eagle, iguana, and water snake.

Back to Gamboa where we docked and went to a restaurant to eat our fish. We invited our cool guide to come with us as well. The food was awesome.

Then a drive back to our hostal and luckily the demonstrations were over. We saw some burned tires in the road so glad we were out of town. We stayed in that night ordering pizza, swimming and playing hangman which was a lot of fun. The bad news was that we got a call and that our tour to visit an indian village was cancelled as there was concerns about safety. While daddy, vitor and I were bummed, Daddy said that safety was his #1 concern so we would make other plans for our last full day in Panama.


Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Vitor and his Peacock BassVitor and his Peacock Bass
Vitor and his Peacock Bass

Lake Gatun, Panama
Taking it all inTaking it all in
Taking it all in

Getting ready to go fishing.
Checking out LunchChecking out Lunch
Checking out Lunch

Peacock Bass, Lake Gatun
Look what I Caught!Look what I Caught!
Look what I Caught!

Lake Gatun, Panama
Daddy happy with his catchDaddy happy with his catch
Daddy happy with his catch

Peacock Bass on Lake Gatun, Panama
Daddy Happy About His CatchDaddy Happy About His Catch
Daddy Happy About His Catch

Peacock Bass in Lake Gatun
Vitor and the Peacock BassVitor and the Peacock Bass
Vitor and the Peacock Bass

Lake Gatun, Panama


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb