Boca Chica, Panama


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Chiriquí » San Felix
November 14th 2015
Published: November 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We continue to explore by bus and what an adventure it is.

The schedule indicated that the bus to Horniconcitos departed at 11:00, so off we trek the half hour to the terminal. We located the bus and boarded only to realize that this bus does not move until there are enough passengers, we sat there for an hour but not without entertainment. This being a Saturday, the Panamanians are shopping and returning to their farms. The bus was loaded with groceries, large bags of what appeared to be some sort of grain, a lady came on with a box of peeping chicks. These folks do not need much personal space, they don't mind sitting three to a seat meant for two. Luckily this bus had air conditioning.

The bus finally made it's way through hilly farm country. We finally saw some cultivated farm land, lots of skinny cattle, goats and horses. Nice scenery with the mountains in the distance. We reached the town of Horniconcitos and the bus driver without our having said anything pointed out a rickety old van that served as a taxi to our destination of Boca Chica. I guess we really do stick out and he guessed we were going to a touristy town. We got on this sketchy van and the driver tried to explain that he had to detour to get gas. We stupidly kept repeating Boca Chica and no comprende so off we went to get gas, stop for his food pick up order and back the way we came to Boca Chica. He dropped us off at the pier and proceeded to tell a water taxi we wanted to go to an island, we said no and he finally understood we just wanted to see this little village and be picked up again at 4:30. We asked about a restaurant and back in the van to a local establishment.

What a place! We don't expect much but this beats all. Both tables are slabs of cement on some sort of pedestal, the chairs are low so that your chin practically rests on the table, the family lives there so the kids are sitting on lawn chairs watching a cartoon on a large flat screen TV. The proprietor speaks English so we were able to understand both items on the menu. It is the typical Panamanian dish, pork or chicken with rice and a touch of salad. The food is usually served luke warm. It is totally outdoors, just a roof and a cement floor, it was nice and cool since there are flowering bushes blocking out the sun.

The town is quite small and hilly. There are at least two modern Fishing Camps since this is a Sport Fishing town. People pay to go deep sea fishing for the big fish like shark and marlin. We just walk around and take in the sights. Jerry saw a monkey but I never did see it. We saw real Cowboys herding their cattle on horse back as well as some very skinny horses tethered in a front yard with latin music blaring in their ears, pityful.

Back to David for a break from small town hopping.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb