Bocas


Advertisement
Published: December 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I have a cell phone for a few weeks, so everyone PLEASE call me. It would be great to hear from you all. From the U.S. dial 011-507-66202530.


As usual photos are at the following site. Copy and paste into your browser.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=n1ics9r.b26kcqkb&x=0&y=lxl4kj


For those who get jealous easily, stop reading at this point.
I've been living on a yacht in the Beautiful Archipelago of the Bocas Del Toro on the Caribean side of Panama. I find that the yachting life style suits me well!
First I spent several days in Panama City, where I met up with Lorena´s Parents, the Deleon's. Lorena was one of my best friends in high school. They were such wonderful hosts and drove me all around. We visited the ruins of the old Panama City (Panama Viejo), the very unique Casco Antiguo, which is a mix of Colonial architecture, New Orleans and Detroit slums. We went into the National Theatre (which the Deleon's sponsor regularly). It reminded me of the Paris Opera house, where I had a wonderful experience. They showed me around the Canal Zone and briefed me on a lot of the history and of the U.S. involvement, specifically with Noriega. I picked up a book to read about the Noriega affair with the U.S., ''Divorcing Noriega'', quite interesting. We drove half way up the canal to a very nice eco-lodge and looked around. We came across some Chocoe Indians (now called Embera Indians), they were pretty much naked and selling some of their beautiful handmade crafts. I bought a small basket that they laboriously weave under water. The basket is so finely made that it holds water. When not touring around I enjoyed the Marriott facilities. Such luxury and it happens to be on of the main locations for intelligence for the Noriega hunt. I hadn't worked out in 2 months so I over did it in the gym and was pretty sore for a few days....but tried to quell that with time in the jacuzzi, sauna and steam room! Lost $40 in about 4 minutes at the casino, so decided to give up my evil Vegas ways for now (don't worry Tracy, I'll still go with you when I come back!).
After Panama city I met up with my friend Ed on his yacht. He has a beautiful 43 foot catamaran. The boat is very comfortable and has all the amenities. If it´s a nice night we bring the flat screen t.v. onto the bow of the boat and watch a movie. He owns 13 acres of an island about 1.5 hour sail from Bocas. We've spent most of the time out there. During the day we usually go for hikes on the property in the rain forest. The finca (farm) has all kinds of fruits that we snack on or pick to bring back to the boat. Bananas, lots of Cocao trees, Oranges, Papayas, Mangoes, limes and some weird ones that I can't remember what they are called. The caretaker of the property, Doc, is a 70 year old man. It's great to (try to) have conversations with him. He gave us a tour of his property on the mainland which is hard core jungle. We had a huge tropical downpour during the hike. It was pretty neat, you drink water by tipping the large leaves into your mouth. There was so much water coming down that there were rivers everywhere and we ended up hiking down a river. Some interesting plants he would point out, one is called the plant of life, you are supposed to chew on the leaf when you have a sore throat. It doesn't taste that great but if you chew on some sugar cane afterwards it's tolerable.
I'm only going to stay on Ed's boat for a week or 2 more and then move onto another boat...but still looking for that. I'd really like to sail the South Pacific.
By the way Ed is looking for a couple that may be interested in living on the island, managing the development and perhaps put together a business plan to make some money on it. Development is already on the way. A few ideas is that it could be a place for a yoga retreat with lots of beautiful hiking and organic farming. He is willing to pay and give part ownership of the corporation. Let me know if interested. World class surfing is an 8 mile boat ride away.
Ok that's it for now, please, my friends, call it would be great to hear from you.

Advertisement



4th December 2006

Kathy's Most Excellent Adventure
Go Girl !! I bet the stars are incredible at night when sailing far away from the things of man. BTW, I emailed a friend of mine in Hong Kong who works at TANDBERG, but runs a yoga center during the weekends. I'll let you know if there's any interest. You are living an amazing life. Thanks for allowing us to live vicariously through you. :o)
6th December 2006

Me Jealous???
Amiga--- Me Jealous? Your on a yatch where it's warm and I'm in Pittsburgh!!!! -Joe

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb